Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rolled in moab...electrical problems PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by juanblzer, Aug 27, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I drove around after my roll on hells revenge (nothing major just laid it on its side). I even drove it from flagstaff to Prescott Valley too. When I got home I was so tired that I crashed out and forgot I left my lights on. Four hours later, I found that I had left them on and attempted to jump the battery. It turned over but when I turned off my truck at the bank... no juicy.

I tried to jump it again but this time it didn't even click. Went and borrowed a battery from NAPA and I am not getting spark at the plug or at the top of the distributor. I replaced the ignition module, rotor, and pulled out my original cap -complete with coil-(it was still good when I replaced it).
    It still is not turning over. Someone please help. I live 1.5 hours from phoenix. I suck at mechanical stuff..but I'm willing to learn. I have to drive my truck 30 miles a day to teach at the highschool and I am completely at the mercy of my fellow k5ers.
    Thanks in advance for all of your help. If you could call me it would be great (i only have access to the web at work 8am - 4pm.
    juan
    928-775-0197

2. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Juan I will try you this afternoon by phone. Maybe I can help over the phone. Did you try Fred? I know he lives in Prescott. Talk too you soon.

3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Sounds great. I should be home around 4pm. 775-0197
    I knew there was some reason why I liked this website.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had similar problems earlier this summer when I got back from college. The first time (the more similar or my cases) it was the pickup coil in the distributor. It isn't that hard to replace, but you do have to pull the distributor out to replace it. (the Chilton's manual didn't mention that) Just mark the distributor before you pull it, replace the pickup coil, replace distributor, and then time the motor. Not to hard. Hell I did it, it can't be that tough.

My second problem was my MSD box went bad on me. I don't know if you have MSD or not, but that is a possibility if you do. There is a way to check if the box is bad or not. You can get the procedure off the MSD troubleshooting webpage.

Hope this helps. To me it sounds like the pickup coil is out if you aren't getting juice to the coil and the module, etc have been checked.

Harley

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man, wish I knew how to help. That kind of stuff just drives me crazy. Only thing I know to do is just start thinking/working backwards from where you notice the problem and checking the components. Could be so many things from your description...

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just reread your post, and the first time I totally missed the part about not cranking now.

Check all your ground points to the frame, rad supports, engine, etc.

Then I would try arching the starter with a screwdriver with the key in the on position. (use a craftsman screw driver, that way if you weld part of the screwdriver to the starter you can get a new one free)

Then if that doesn't cause cranking, take a big pole (i.e. highlift jack handle) and give the starter a few solid smacks. Run the pole threw the engine bay and smack the starter with the downward strike, not a swing. Then try and start it. (make sure not to hit any of the wiring)

Beyond that I don't know how else to check for no crank.

I had a problem with my truck not starting. I tried the screwdriver thing and no dice. So then a buddy of mine smacked the starter with a pole and it fired right up. Apparently the starter didn't totally disengage or something and it needed a good smack to disengage and it has worked fine since.

7. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Hey juan, Did you get my messages yesterday I tried you around 5:00 from the shop and 7ish from home. I will try you again tonight. Basically I thinkk like Hossbaby50 check your battery cables at battery and at starter, ground etc. I really don't think it has anything do do with your Roll over. Shop # is 623-879-6647 and my home # is 602-547-3022. Hope to hear from you

8. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

UPDATE!Re: Rolled in moab...electrical problems PLEASE HELP!

Hey all, thanks for all the help.

Could not figure it out. I took it over to a shop and they found the culprit. A wire from the distributor and my ignition key switch. With a tow from my house it was 110 bucks. It sucks but I tried every thing I could think of. Thank you all for the pointers... I tried every one of them.
    juan

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Just got back tonight Juan. Sorry to hear of the trouble, but glad you figured it out.