Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rolled my blazer in Moab...now electrical problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, Aug 27, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

drove my blazer for at least 4 hours total time after my brief "lay-over". THen I had a brainfart and left my lights on for about 4 hours while the truck was off. I jumped the optima battery and it would not hold a charge. Now the starter won't even click.

I repaced the cap and coil (I had a spare cap with coil in it)
    I replaced the ignition module under the cap
    I replaced the rotor

I am completely stumped. I did find a fusible link that had burned right on the firewall above the distributor, near the brake booster.

Someone please help, my blazers my only means of transportation. I am a newbie to mechanics so bear with me.
    Thanks in advance.
    juan

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

possibly crack the battery? (inside) Have you tried a different battery yet?

John

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Where did you roll it?

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

it was an optima mounted under the passenger seat. I think that leaving the lights on for 4hrs killed the battery. Anyway I used a loaner battery from Napa and it still wont fire.

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Hell's Revenge near the trough at the base of Lion's Back. Goofing around climbing the vertical face of a rock. FWP an BadDog and Marv and Robzilla all saw it as they also climbed up the wall for a photo op. Anyway... I went farther than BadDog ... and I have the dents to prove it. Keith got some pics of the blazer on its side. It was pretty much a non-event but my adrenaline sure was firing. Now my distributor isn't though.
    juan

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I would start tracing wiring. Either a connection came loose, or a wire touched a hot part, and is shorting out. I would start tracing at the starter and work my way up. Hope this helps.

John

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

check your grounds from the engine to the battery and engine to chassis. try and disconnect/connect every connector that you can get a hold of, one of them could of gotten corroded. if yo ucant disconnect/connect them wiggle them, specially the ones going into your firewall. you can always hot wire it. run a wire from the + coil to the + batt and crank it. that should keep you going for a bit longer. just remember to disconect the wire to turn it off /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ARQ.

8. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

pos wire from battery to starter maybe??????

9. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

How bad was the damage to your blazer. Also did you take pictures of the roll-over or the damage it did. if you do post the pictures please