Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rolled my truck today *UPDATE* PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Crazy now non violent my rollover was today. Was crawling up a steep hill to leave the trails and hit this huge stump. Going so slow that my truck died out, so I started rolling backwards and got on the brakes right away. The guy that owns the land told me, "Just roll back a hair, wedge your tires up against the burm, start it up, and get going again." Well I listened to him like a dumbass instead of just backing down the hill and my 38s jumped right over that burm, putting me into a serious off camber spot (although I didn't realize exactly how off-camber I was, it never felt funny at all). Obviously nothing with a carb is going to run leaning way over like that so trying to move was a waste of time. I guess I moved backwards just a hair more and my tires slipped off the high part of the hill into a rut and over onto the side we went.

Amazing now non-violent an off road rollover is. I'd expected to one day be screaming through a mud pit, balls to the wall and all the sudden hit a hidden bump in the hole and go over onto my roof. Never imagined I'd be crawling in granny gear and end up rolling over.

Remember that green K5 from the Hank's Jamboree pics a few weeks ago? (the one with the 383, TH 400, NP 205, 1 ton axles, power loc, detroit, 5.13s, 44" boggers, etc) He ended up pulling my truck all the way back down the hill on its side, then a bunch of guys pushed it back onto its wheels. I poured two quarts of oil in it, started it up, and drove it home.

I beat the piss out of my truck today though, had a great time. No breakage, the rollover caved my fender, door, and the side of my cab in but no glass breakage because the window was open, and the only other damage besides that was that my cab light broke all the way on the left.

That green K5 is absoutely awesome. I can't even put it into words. 6,000 RPM 383 stroker, all forged and balanced, world products sportsman II heads, cam, etc., built TH 400 with 3500 stall, a total of 3 fans, two electric and the mechanical, 35 spline outers and drive flanges in front, 1350 driveshafts, FULL HYDRUALIC STEERING with no drag link or anything just a hydraulic ram, 5.13s, Power loc front detroit rear, 44" Boggers on 15" wheels, 8" BDS front springs, 8" superlift springs in the rear, 3" body lift, some serious fender trimming......oh it's just sweet. We finally managed to get him stuck, but you couldn't drive a tank where we did. My friend's K30 with a 454 kept seperating his front shaft so I had to pull him out. I was really worried that I'd break my truck as I didn't think it was heavy enough to get that thing to move, but we hooked up the 6" recovery strap and went at it and everything was ok. I had to yank him like three times but he actually did come out. I was soooo proud of my truck too.

The green K5's owner got some awesome video too, hopefully he'll share it with me. Some pretty cool pics of my K10 screaming through a mud pit all over the rev limiter and everything.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: Rolled my truck today

glad you didnt get hurt. time for EFI huh?
    get some pics if you can.
    grant

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

That sucks man. Glad your not hurt though, thats what matters.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    That sucks man. Glad your not hurt though, thats what matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thank god. There were three of us in the cab, me, the owner of the land, and another guy. Thank God I didn't have a woman in my truck.

Time for EFI? Maybe. More of time to learn to drive a stick, and time to stay the hell away from that hill which three rigs have rolled over on...and time to beat the piss out of my K10 some more cause it wasnt' broke yet.

I'll snap some pics of the K10 when I get it clean, which will most likely be monday. My friends snapped some pics and video of it on its side, but I doubt they'll turn out as it just got dark about 10 minutes after I rolled it.

The guy in the green blazer hit the same stump on his way up, he said it scared the [darn] out of him!

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's the K5 that pulled me out. I pulled him out when he was framed out too. That thing is so unbelievably bad ass. Just makes me wonder what I'd do to mine if it had 44s, a built motor, and lockers in both ends.

[​IMG]

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Now that I've been thinking about things, I've got to ask you guys. For those of you that have ever rolled your truck, have you ever found yourself afraid of it afterwords?

The guy in the green K5, Mike is his name, was talking to me right after I rolled it. He said that he rolled his on its side once and it scared the [darn] out of him too. He said only now is he building enough confidence that he can actually romp the pedal in his truck without worrying anymore.

After this it got me to thinking of all the times that I've probably done something less than smart in my rig. Either way, I don't think I'll ever out grow my fascination with standing on the pedal as hard as I can, watching my tach scream as high as it can go in the highest gear that my engine won't bog down in. I really enjoy my form of fourwheeling and everything....nothing really replaces the feeling I get when I'm out in the woods and bouncing off my rev limiter.

However, now, I'm finding myself almost afraid of this truck that I've spent over three years building. How long will this take to wear off? Or is it just that I've learned the limits of my truck by pushing it and it will just take me a while before I choose to push it again?

7. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a healthy fear. As long as you have learned from your mistake, you will grow from it. The last time I did anything destructive (pushed myself and the vehicle too far) it took me a couple of weeks to get to the point where I would push it that far again. Of course, the next time I pushed it that far, I had the prior experience to remind me to be a little more careful, and I ended up learning the limits of the vehicle better than I would have if I had been reckless.
    Are you actully scared of it, or are you just being faced with a reality check, and letting life (and your rig) teach you a lesson about testing your limits? You walked away from this, be glad, and learn by it. At the same time, by no means should you stop doing what you find fun. Just be wary of your center of gravity. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had a friend of mine in high school who refused to learn every time he pushed his car to the limit. He'd go back and do it all over again and again. I think he liked the thrill. Long story short, he made a coffin out his car. Moral of the story: Learn from it.

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Glad you are ok.

9. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Amazing now non-violent an off road rollover is. I'd expected to one day be screaming through a mud pit, balls to the wall and all the sudden hit a hidden bump in the hole and go over onto my roof. Never imagined I'd be crawling in granny gear and end up rolling over.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Should read " Amazing how non-violent an offroad rollover " <font color="red">CAN BE!! </font> /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have rolled only once and it was slow, but I have also seen a slow roll get violent very fast. So as stated before, Glad to hear you are ok!! Be safe!!

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Now that I've been thinking about things, I've got to ask you guys. For those of you that have ever rolled your truck, have you ever found yourself afraid of it afterwords?

The guy in the green K5, Mike is his name, was talking to me right after I rolled it. He said that he rolled his on its side once and it scared the [darn] out of him too. He said only now is he building enough confidence that he can actually romp the pedal in his truck without worrying anymore.

After this it got me to thinking of all the times that I've probably done something less than smart in my rig. Either way, I don't think I'll ever out grow my fascination with standing on the pedal as hard as I can, watching my tach scream as high as it can go in the highest gear that my engine won't bog down in. I really enjoy my form of fourwheeling and everything....nothing really replaces the feeling I get when I'm out in the woods and bouncing off my rev limiter.

However, now, I'm finding myself almost afraid of this truck that I've spent over three years building. How long will this take to wear off? Or is it just that I've learned the limits of my truck by pushing it and it will just take me a while before I choose to push it again?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't roll mine, but I did "flop" it about a year ago. It definitely reminds you that ALL vehicles have limits....I used to just assume that since my truck was "built" it should be able to follow along with anyone else..... but if you choose a bad line, or make a poor choice in a critical situation, you can get punished.

I'd say it's all part of the growing process... you'll need to reset your expectations about what your truck can do, and start building confidence in it again. Kinda like when you first put a new motor or tranny in a vehicle....at first, you don't REALLY know if it's all going to work right....so for a while every little sound or movement of the gauges makes you nervous. Over time, you begin to trust that everything is fine, and as the miles roll by you worry about it less and less.

That's my "philosophical" post for the day. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I didn't roll mine either...I only flopped it, but in the worse possible spot too. Thank God that green K5 was there or I would have been screwed. My friend with the K30 and 454 lost his front driveshaft.

I definitely agree...it's going to be like re-learning to drive my truck after this.

12. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Boo-[I'm a potty mouth]hoo

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

sorry to hear bout your truck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, hope it gets fixed and wheeled soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Boo-****in'-hoo

[/ QUOTE ]

that is fawked up for saying that. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

but hey glad yer ok. time to build a buggy???? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Sample?? How old are you, 12?? This guy has some concerns that I can understand as I rolled a pickup truck about five times and ended up on my head with the truck on fire. Now unless you can relate a similiar story back off. Sorry for the damage to your truck bud but as was stated earlier you'll learn from this and be a better driver in the end. Good luck to you in the future.

Allan

16. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1. Where ya at? I ain't no expert mechanic, but I can help if need be.

2. Pics?

3. Yes, I get freaked outover things that I ain't done before.

After I laked my rig I was scared I was going to break everything in sight and kill myself along with it. Ya get over it in time with more experience and more tranquilizers. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I drove it home, it's all mechancially good except that it had about 2 quarts less oil in it when it was back on its wheels, the power steering pump was empty, and some body damage. The door still even opens and so does the window. I know some gas leaked from the tank too...no clue how much though as my gas gauge is messed up.

Pics will be later today, I'm heading down to my mom's to wash the truck and survey the damage with 87SM465NP208.

Edit:

There are pics of it on its side, but it had just got dark as it rolled over so I doubt that they'll turn out (not my camera anyway, my friend Josh took the pics). I haven't even recovered my tow strap from this outing so I doubt I'll see the pics soon.

I'm sure there's water in my axles again too. It rained a ton on Friday and I ended up putting my truck into some pretty deep water. No biggie though, these axles are coming out anyway so I don't care if they're full of mud for gear oil. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Age=25
    rolled before=yes, on the trail and on the street.

Again, I say boo-****in'-hoo.

19. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well then sample you confirmed what I had thought from the beginning in that you are just a prick. Didn't your Mommy teach you if you can't say anything nice don't be a prick??

20. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yep, it was definitly dent damage, permanant style, or at least it looks better to me that way, looks like it was rock crawl'n and had a scuffle with some rocks, thats what i think at least, the clutch seems to work a HELL of alot better from the little trip i took with 84 K10, seeing his two rear tires spinning in his yard makes me wish i had a gov-bomb again, well some day, but truck just has some dents and stuff, nuthing to bad, could probly pull em out with a dent puller, except for the dents in the cab, thos look kinda bad, as far as effort required to get em out, anyway the damage was Wayy cool to see. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.