Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roller 496 break in...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, May 27, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Still a little over a month away, but Im a prepared son of a gun. Like to think things over. Anyway, Im wondering what the correct engine break in schedule would be on a roller top end 496 new cam, crank, rods, pistons, etc. I mean from second of startup till 5000 miles. What all should I be doing during these vital miles? Oil choices? I want to end up on Synthetic, but I heard that you shouldnt break an engine in on it, any truth to that? Just give me an idea, mileage wise also, when I can finally take this beast offroad. One final thing, I hear that in the first 20-30mins the engine will get HOT, as in, header glowing red etc. Anything I should do so I dont roast this pig? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

roller cam? not much break in for that
    basically seat the rings, no?

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

How long does seatin the rings take? Any particular engine things i should do? like a new car i know you shouldnt drive same speed for extended periods...........is that why? Never owned a new car or a new engine so its all new for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

After the intial firing and checking for leak's, setting valve's, timing, etc. Change the oil and the filter.
    After say 500 mile's, change it again, and then just every 3000 mile's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

is it true about no break in on synth?

6. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Do not break the engine in on synthetic. The rings may not seat and you will have a smoker for life.
    Shelve the sythetic until the engine has 15000-20000 miles on it.
    Just vary the engine speed, no cruise control, and be sure to get on it about 3/4 throttle every once in a while to build heat and seat the rings.

I guess with a roller you dont have to run with no load 2500rpms for 30 minutes like a conventional cam

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a roller set up in my 454 and it's just like MJ said. There's no need for the 15~20 minute break in like a flat tappet cam, just run it easy for a while to seat the rings and then let her rip.

**On my motor** with the initial start up my buddy (<font color="orange">TARussell</font>) and I would check for leaks, oil pressure, etc. and then abuse the crap out of it, never had any problems.