Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roller cam conversion...help me decide

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Feb 15, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

what is the benefits to the change, I'm building this long rod 350 .040 over......how many ponies will I see in difference between roller and flat tappet cam??and what will I need to buy,( roller cam,roller lifters), this is going in a mid 70's block.......is there some special install kit to buy and what will the machine shops usually charge for the conversion to roller?? also I want it to be able to turn 6,000 rpm's CONSISTENTLY .......THX appreciate the help

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I don't think you need a roller to have a rev ceiling of 6500.

But, if you do spend the $$ - there's a huge power increase with a roller...

Marv

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I built a 400 small block for my 2wd truck last year & put in a roller cam & lifters. My block is a '73 model. As far as horsepower difference, that is very difficult to answer, it will depend greatly on all of the components that your engine will have. There is no special kit you would need to buy, just the cam and lifters. You might have some other new parts that you will need to buy, again depending on what you are putting in. There is no machining that needs to be done to your block for the conversion. I see that you want to turn 6000 rpm's alot. What are you going to put this motor in ?

'80 K10 350/350/NP205/14B/10B/4.10/4"Lift/Q78-Buckshots

4. twenty_below0

this motor will be in nothing but the K5 and here (Alaska)there is alot of mudd and sand in the river bottoms so rev's are nice to have, when needed, which can be quite often!

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think there are many, many benefits to roller cams, but they're expensive. If you haven't spared any expense anywhere else, a roller cam should find its way into your engine.

I personally like the huge lift numbers that can be achieved with roller cams and the fast ramp speeds. I brag about my Comp Xtreme 4x4 that's in my truck having some great lift specs/ramp speed for the duration, but even the crappiest roller cam has quicker ramps than my cam.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That's pretty much what I would say, good power available from the cam profile, but don't do it unless the truck is optimized elsewhere already. The rollers will let you run a bit more versatile cam, meaning you can get a bit more RPM range out of it which helps. And it's smoother, you can run pretty stiff springs and be a bit more aggressive with it in a given duration,.......BUT, if you don't already have the axles, lockers, suspension, tires, body protection, recovery gear, etc, I'd advise spending the extra $600 somewhere else. But if that's stuff's taken care of or you won't have to wait long for the account to recover, go for it. I'd also recommend putting a 383 crank in it, it's easy, relatively cheap and cubes never fail to produce torque and power. And don't believe what they say about the 383 not liking to rev, mine would run at 6K-6500 no problem. But that was with a cam that didn't work out so well with the rest of my wheeling needs. Maybe your extra $600 would be better spent on a crank than on the roller cam? It's easier to swap a cam down the road than it is to swap a crank so maybe that makes sense.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

7. twenty_below0

thx for the helpful response, I dont have the dana 60's yet but everything else is taken care of, purhaps I should put the extra dollars toward the dana............you have a great point, have ran strokers in the past and they are awesome engines but I got a great deal on a rotating assembly for a .040 over 350 with 6.00" rods from ebay so I have to do this now, 400.00 is unpassable for me, in comparison to 800.00 for a cheap stroker set up, I think I will put the cash toward axles or maybe roll cage.....unless you want to buy a rotating long rod assembly.....lol just kidding thx appreciate it Mike

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You hit the nail squarely on the head right there.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles