Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roller cam in a truck block, just some info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 4, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just pulled the intake on my 89 Burb's 350. Has the posts of course, but they are already drilled and tapped and ready to go for roller cam. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Still not sure if I will run a roller cam setup when I build the motor but just passing on some info.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The top of the lifter bores must also me machined flat for the roller lifters and sometimes the block may have the 3 boss's for the cradle but the lifter bore tops aren't machined.

3. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Just to add, my '91 Jimmy was fully drilled/machined for roller cam. It has one in it now! If only I could get the injection to work!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah well I was always told this wasn't done to truck blocks and believed it, now I know that was wrong. Not to say its done to all truck blocks.

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

my 89 v3500 was tapped and drilled and I just put the roller in it.. wakes up the motor nicely.. still runs on piss gas

6. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

just FYI , I have yet to see a 1 piece rear main seal block that was NOT machined for the roller cam

I have been in 10-15 of them, different years(86-98+)

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For the cost, if I were to do it again, unless I was A)racing, and needed all the power I could get, or B) got one for free/extremely cheap, I'd not worry about roller.

I've got one in my truck, but to be honest, I don't know how you would know exactly how much more power you made, unless you did a dyno before/after.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am an automotive machinist and have seen and rebuilt many chevy engines over the years and i can say that i have seen some 1 piece rear main seal blocks that were fully ready for roller and others that had the 3 boss's but not drilled or tapped and others that were drilled and tapped but did not have the lifter bore tops machined to accept the roller lifter guide bridge. I can say one thing though, every block i have come across was drilled and tapped in the front for the cam thrust plate, and there are 2 different ones even.

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am an automotive machinist and have seen and rebuilt many chevy engines over the years and i can say that i have seen some 1 piece rear main seal blocks that were fully ready for roller and others that had the 3 boss's but not drilled or tapped and others that were drilled and tapped but did not have the lifter bore tops machined to accept the roller lifter guide bridge. I can say one thing though, every block i have come across was drilled and tapped in the front for the cam thrust plate, and there are 2 different ones even.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have a 87 block and the 3 bosses are there but they were not drilled or tapped. Go figure /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    just FYI , I have yet to see a 1 piece rear main seal block that was NOT machined for the roller cam

[/ QUOTE ]

my 86 305 wasnt. every other one i've seen was. pissed me off, i was gonna put the Vortec roller cam in it and run it. too much work to tap the bosses and have the lifter valley machined.

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I thought you had to change the dist. gear to make it compatible with the harder gear on the roller cam, otherwise the dist gear could get worn out quicker than normal. Maybe thats only in Fords?

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

1987 was the switch to 1 piece rear main motors, of course your 86 won't have the setup.

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

how bout hydro roller?
    i got a 1991 caprice police 350 (9c1)
    [​IMG]

edited.. i actually read your post and you say you have NOT... :)

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

try again. 86 was the first year for the 1 piece RMS.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I apologized and was correct in the thread but it got deleted with the forum move.

16. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Factory roller cams had an iron distributor drive gear so a bronze dist gear was not required. The aftermarket has been moving this direction as well, so it depends on the cam.