Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roller cam thrust bearing...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 8, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

is a pain in the ass to locate... I am trying to put my 383 together but I can't locate a new cam thrust bearing. I threw the old one out knowing I would not want to reuse it and now I can't locate a replacement. Dealership just shows the retainer plate(the thrust bearing is a torrington bearing between the retainer plate and the camshaft) and can't garauntee me that the plate will come with the bearing. SWEET. been to a GMC and a Chevy dealer, neither has it(one wanted $10 more to order the retainer plate). The first place knew exactly what I meant(the retainer anyway).

So has anyone torn down a roller motor? Do you remember a thrust bearing between the cam and retainer plate or am I being crazy? I swear I remember one, hell I can picture it, but I've torn apart numerous transmissions with torrington bearings in them since then so I could be crossing up memories to fit what I "want" to be seeing.

I need to figure this out, I can't put my timing cover on or my oil pan until I figure out if I need this bearing or what.

2. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Shouldn't be one there, the retainer just captures the step on the cam snout on the stock set up..

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just took apart a factory roller cam motor in the last few months. It only had a retainer plate up front. No bearing. There isn't much thrust there, it's just to keep the cam in place. Flat tappet cams have a slight taper in the lobes that cause the lifters to rotate and also slightly pushes the cam towards the rear of the engine, to keep it in place. Roller cams will just walk around since they don't have that feature. So you need a retainer plate or cam button to hold the cam where it belongs.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree with Harry, there is no torrington thrust bearing in that location, only a thrust plate held on with torx screws.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks, I know full well why its there. didn't want to have to run a stupid cam button vs that plate. Installed it a bit ago and realized it fit just right without a bearing.

6. Swampy79

Swampy79 Registered Member

I realize that I am 4 years late on this post but does anyone have the torx screw dimensions (thread count, size) for this thrust plate, I've got a bare block 383 coming together and I'm having to put it all together from scratch.

7. 4X4HIGH

I can't recall the dimensions of the bolts but there are two different thrust plates that were used (different bolt spacing) GM #10088128 (3.620" spacing) or GM #10168501 (3.294" spacing).

8. Swampy79

Thanks man, I appreciate the effort either way, I've got the thrust plate, and I think a trip to the local GM dealer for some diagram digging is in order, I was obviously just try to rush on the weekend to-do list before the regular week keeps me from getting anything done.....damn you monday through friday...

9. 4X4HIGH

Why not just hit up your local junk yard in the morning and pull a couple used bolts?

10. Swampy79

That sounds like the plan for me. I did figure out that the thread count is 1/4-20, not sure of the depth though for anyone else's future reference.