Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roller cams

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by COCHEV, May 13, 2004.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

What year did chevy start putting roller cams in the trucks? i've heard that all the blocks have provisions for them after 87, but that didn't neccessarily mean that they had them. can someone clear this up for me? thanks,

jason

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not till 96. All previous ones had some provisions(can't just bolt in a roller cam setup) back till 87. A good way to do things would be, if you want to build a motor for an 87-95 pickup, get a TBI Caprice(or similar body car) motor and start with that. Or pickup a 96 or newer motor. Since they all have roller cams its a good start place.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Actually a TPI motor from an '88 IROC Camaro would work as well. I had one, man that thing would move.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ah yes you are right. Pretty much any 88+ motor out of anything but a truck. Until 96 when Vortec came around then trucks got roller cams as well. My 97 C2500 moves I must say. Makes me wish I started my 355 in the K5 with a Vortec block.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

And i don't so much means it moves as rollin down the road, but also the motor itself would really move, i used to take the Camaro to the Friday night "Run whatya brung" things, and would drag race it, i would manually shift it, that thing will easily pull 6000 and feel like it still wanted to pull even more if i let it, but i would always shift right about there, didn't want to blow up my DD due to playin around at the strip. Real nice motor, had a distinct sound to it as well. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

can't say the same for my vortec motor. Pulls hard up till about 5000, keeps going to about 5500 but the damn thing takes forever to shift. Need one of those electronic shift improvers, should make a world of difference.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Honestly 6000 was probably pretty close to it's limits, but i never went much over that, as a DD it rarely saw those kinds of rpm's so i was not used to wrapping it up that high, and was sort of "uncomfortable" with it up there, just the sound ya know,, But definately a damn good runnin motor, smooth, high rev'r, even with it's 165k miles on it, it would still do a 14.8 quarter mile, not too bad for stock with high very high mileage i think.

Hell, everytime i would start it up in the pit lane, it would puff out some smoke too, just like the rest of the higher mileage Chevy motors.

Plan on getting me another one someday, it was a fun car. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

What was the rear set up in ur car? My 84 GMC is having major traction probs at the track it spins thru the 1/8mile if i try to lanuch off the line. I have to feather it to get anywhere but heres the set up. ZZ4 HO/ TH350 10 bolt open w/3.08 1st gear at 5500 is 60-65mph 2nd to 125mph 3rd useless but for top speed runs aginst my buddys acura GSR. Ah well plans are already being made to fix the traction prob and some others.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It was a posi, i found with that particular setup that i had to actually apply power to the rear, with the brake on to i guess "lock" the rear end, i know it isn't fully locked, but it seemed to work better when launching, if i just gunned it without doing this, it would just break one tire loose.

Your traction problem is definately caused from the open diff, get yourself maybe a loc-rite, for positive locking action, as the posi will still slip at times.

I raced a "stock" 90something Toyota pick up tha was hangin with me on my rear quarter all the way down the track, couldn't figure it out, until he opened his hood, he told me everything was "stock" well it was, there was a factory supercharger mounted to the stock v-6. His only problem was the open diff, otherwise i believe he would have beat me, that would have really sucked too.

The other thing, i never do long burn outs with my radial tires, i just scrub off any debris, spin them a couple of rotations, i know, it looks better to smoke'em, but have seen that it's not good for the traction to do this to them.

10. 89K1500Chevy

yea stay clear of the burn out box if your running street tires with tread. I need street slicks Im going to be running a Ford 9in rear end locked with prob a Auburn ECTD diff so its limited slip till i flip the switch to full locked

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've never heard of an auburn electric locker.

12. 89K1500Chevy

Look on there website or look in a offroad mag youll prob find it. Its New product

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was trying this morning but their site was down I will look again