Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roller vs non roller motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 29, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ok what are your opinions? If installed a roller motor in my 89 Burb think I would see a MPG increase? I'm thinking about going back to driving my burb, make it a little more capable a little better hauler and drive it and sell my 2wd. I have access to a stock roller 350 that I would swap my heads and intake onto and drop in the burb. Thoughts on doing this? Be worth the time you think? Figure I could port and polish heads a little bit while I am there, try and get a little more flow, maybe slightly stronger springs for when she sees upper RPMs.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It will reduce friction, this is good. I suggest some roller rockes as well. Slight increase in MPG if you drive nice. The most improvement will be in oil temp and engine longevity /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I remembered that I need to locate the camshaft info as well. The roller motor is from a 9C1 police car and has a little more agressive camshaft than say a standard Caprice motor.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I really dislike the idea of the TBI truck heads, but what heads are on that 9C1 motor? They might be better heads anyways...and should allow your TBI intake to bolt right up as well, no?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no they will not, at least I am pretty certain they are standard bolt pattern (older style) heads. IT has an electronic QJet on it. If the heads on it will work I will just run them, cause like you said I am sure they are better. But the only other heads I have access to are 882 factory 72cc heads and thats just not gonna cut it.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Take a really close look at the angle of the intake bolts on the Caprice engine. I've seen them with Q-jet intakes that have the inner bolts angled to mate with the heads, just like on a TBI engine. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that if it's a roller block, it will have to have the vertical center intake bolt pattern? Thought those changes happened at the same time.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

maybe you are right and I am wrong, really don't know.

9. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i would think the roller set up would be the way to go regardless what you run on top of it you can get a lot more cam for your buck an you don't have to spend a lot of money to build a roller set up just top it of with a set of roller rockers and i'm sure you can find a wicked combo to match /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

those 882 arn't that bad iv'e had good luck with them the cc is a little large but if you run some flattops maby shave them down it'll bring the compresson ratio up they have really good flow numbers that helps out big.

althogh those caprice heads are probably better /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i'd look into those /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Dont knock those 882's, they are some good heads. Id say the heads on the 9C1 caprice engine are the same face pattern as the TBI intakes. I have only seen two, but they have both been the later pattern.