Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rolling paint on my K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by docgab, Jul 7, 2005.

1. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Greetings folks,
    I was looking to throw on a cheap ass paint job on my truck basically to get away from the 15 different color look it has right now. I was thinking of rattle can, but I stopped by the local paint store and found some cool black paint for $30 for the gallon. I've seen some guys had rolled their paint on. Any problems with roller lines etc? How'd it look overall? Any pics? Thanks guys and gals. :bow:

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was gonna try and answer your question but I couldn't read it for stairing at your avatar.

3. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

4. TXFSHRMAN

TXFSHRMAN Registered Member

rolled paint

im going to use caterpillar yellow for my cheap paint job...i can get a gallon for 25-30 also......then if you want to get the hardener and clear got its a like 14 bucks a piece extra......

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This one is rolled and looks pretty good. Hard to tell that its rolled unless you know, it is a good 6 footer -

[​IMG]

6. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

cool thanks for the pics and input all. Much appreciated. I'll be sure to post up pics when i get to the project. :D

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

roll on ...

I painted a 1963 VW "bus" I had years ago with a roller and brushes--also a 1956 Chevy 3200 series pickup I had about the same time..both looked decent,but would not win any car shows by any means..my main intent was to prevent any further rust and to get them all one color(bus was red on the bottom,and white on top)..the pickup I painted mostly with a brush,as there was not much flat areas big enough to justify using a roller...

After several coats of Rustoleum gloss black,it looked pretty spiffy!..a few months later,after the paint had baked in the hot summer sun,and was completely hardened,I buffed the crap out of it with a buffing wheel and lots of 3M "Super Duty Rubbing Compound" and it took 95% of all the brush marks out,and it almost rivaled a spray gun job!.(actually,Rustoleum dries without too many brush marks anyway)..I was quite happy with it..many folks thought I painted it with a spray gun!.. ;)

The "Bus" was a lot better looking with its 2 tone paint job,even if it was a roller/brush job...several people commented on its new looks,and it made me feel it was worth all the effort of doing it..I like roller and brush paint jobs--thick paint seems to last longer and repel rust longer too...I'm not worried about perfect show paint jobs...waste of money 99% of the time on a truck that gets "worked" and scratched off road ocaisionally..I can hardly afford gas and insurance,so paint is last on my list of priorities lately.. :crazy: