Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rollover??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

OK, I see that CK5 is going to start selling some angle guages. What Im curious to know is... at what angle is the average 'rollover point'? I know that every vehicle has its own 'breakover' point, depending on springs, tires, load, but if I had one of these on my dash, where would I start to really sweat? Barring any tree roots in the uphill rut, or any gopher holes in the downhill rut, just with a truck on a flat deck, that was tipping over, what approx. angle would a unloaded fullsize K5 want to roll?
    Just wondering... I know some have seen it.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

A couple of us in my club were thinking about testing this. We wanted to lift the side of the truck with a forklift and have a strap tied to the cage to hold it with another truck, so when it just barely started to shift the weight over, we could catch it and let it back down. The only problem is that no one wants to volunteer their rig!! [​IMG]

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

An unmoving rig w/ no momentum will go farther over before the point of no return, than one that is moving.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yeah I know, but it will still be a decent approximation. We also thought about using our RTI ramp since that would allow the truck to be moving. It would simulate trail conditions better too, since most of the roll overs you see are while someone is trying to get up a cliff or boulder and the truck is flexed out all the way.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think 45 degrees is around the max (one of the reasons the gage only goes up that far) I have had mine up to 35 degrees and I can say it was not that fun.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

6. CK5

In fact here is the pic (at 35 degrees)
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/temp/crapmypants.jpg>http://coloradok5.com/temp/crapmypants.jpg</a>

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Awesome pic. Thats 35 degrees huh.... I think I have been close to that, but it always seems waaaay more when youre in the chair! I know there are a million variables to this question, but I was just curious if anyone had an approximation.
    Thanks

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is a video tape of mine about going over (daylight onder both Passenger side tires I have been told. I have not seen the tape. Just what I was told when I got to the top. I was being winched up guard rail and they say the winch caught up and was the only reason why I didn't go over. I'll try to measure it when I see the tape in a few day's

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Pics just don't do justice, do they? And I have a question... I have seen many times where a rig is at a steep angle like that and someone is beside it supporting it. Well, if the rig started to go, do you think he could really hold it?!? Or do you think he would turn tail and run like the wind?!?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

10. CK5

Yeah, it doesn't look as bad as it was in the pic, but you would be surprised what one person can do when a rig is at that balance point. If it started to go over he would have gotten out of the way, he was at the rear corner. What made it scary was that it had snowed off and on during the day making everything very slick and as I drove forward it would slip from time to time on the iregularties of the rocks, major pucker factor.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

11. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

When I rolled I was sideways on a hill thats close to 70 degrees in some areas. I didnt rolloever till I lost momentum. I have it on video just need to figure out how to put it on the computer.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>