Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

romote start silonoid question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Oct 18, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I got the correct remote start solinoid from a ford truck but how do I wire the stinking thing... do I need to take off the old solinoid???

2. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

I believe you have to jumper the terminals on the chevy starter. I`d wait until someone who has done this puts their two cents in though...I`d hate for you to mess something up on my word.

Shane

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

This is how I did it.
    disconnect the + & the start wire(S) from the Chev Silly
    Mounted the Ferd Silly to the fender well.
    Made a 2" jumperwire 10ga. w/eyeholes at each end.
    put the jumper on the Chev silly from the + to the S(start wire)terminal.
    Next I made a 2ga. red cable that fit from the Chev silly+ to the Ferd Silly+(starter side).
    Make your startwire (key) wire longer and connect it to the Ferd (S) terminal(key).
    Now use another piece of 2ga.Red and hook it from your batt to the Ferd silly +(batt side).
    that should doit!
    Ever sence I have done this I have NEVER had a HOT start symptom again....ever!!!!!!!!
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You leave the Chevy solenoid in place and wire them in series. You can't bypass the stock solenoid because it also throws out the gear to engage the starter to the flywheel.

Most people wire it so that all power to the Chevy solenoid and starter come through the Ford solenoid. This is good, but I did it so that the Chevy starter and solenoid are wired just like stock except that the start wire goes to the Ford solenoid and the Chevy solenoid gets a good kick straight from the battery through the Ford solenoid. Both solenoids are connected directly to the battery. The only advantage to this is that your starting current is passing through only one set of contacts (instead of two, as in the first scenario).

If you do a search, you will find some old posts on this, and there is a Nova site somewhere that has a wiring diagram for it (the first way, not the second way that I described).

<font color=green>Does a Dyslexic Insomniac Athiest lay awake at night wondering if there's really a Dog?</font color=green>

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

www.off-road.com/chevy

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

HAHAAH thanks burt... when I was reading that I thought you were calling me "silly" and being a smart a$$ about it... I just realized silly was for silonoid...

haha.... must have coffee...

thanks for the info and the site guy's