Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Romoving the front shock mount studs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, May 4, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

What is the easiest way to remove the factory studs to get the mount off. I am putting the 9012's on later today with the Ford shock towers. Should I grind them or drill them out?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Easiest is the blue-flame wrench. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif If you're taking out rivets, I've had good luck with drilling a small pilot hole in the center of the head. Use something like a 1/8 to 3/16's of an inch bit and drill about 1/4 inch deep. Next use a 3/8's inch bit and drill until you just break through where the head meets the frame. The head will pretty much fall off at this point. Smack the remains of the rivet with a punch and the rivet will pop right out of the hole. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I used a grinder on mine and t was really quick, I would not use a torch on these...your fuel line is right on the other side the frame!!!

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys, I used the drill method and it worked fine.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    I love the ol' 4.5" grinder and punch with a 3# sledge,LOL
    doing fords in the front..what about the rear??/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I use the 4.5x.25 grinder disk to cut a slot straight down in the middle of the rivet head. Then I knock the head off with the air chisel and a cutting bit. Then pop the rivet out with the punch in the air chisel. Takes just a couple of minutes as long as you can get to it...

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Not doing the rear yet. I have to get the 56" springs put togeather and on and then move the axle back, then I will mess with the rear shock set up. One of the guys from our club has a 220 volt mig and a shop full of tools and lives about 10 minutes from me. He said I could use the shop anytime. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif So most likely I will do all that at his place.