Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ronaldus Magnus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Feb 25, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Outside the founding fathers themselves, and perhaps a small challenge from a Congressional Medal of Honor winner in Teddy Roosevelt, there is no question in my mind that Ronald Reagan was the greatest American President. I was reading some on-line leftist drivel about our war in Iraq yesterday and some coffee drinking hemp wearing piece of chit hippy type clown was going on and ON about how "the entire world is against us" in our mission in the middle east. At that moment I remembered a passage from the 1982 state of the union address...

"No one pretends that the way ahead will be easy. In my inaugural address last year, I warned that the "ills we suffer have come upon us over several decades. They will not go away in days, weeks or months, but they will go away ... because we Americans have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion of freedom."

... and I was reminded of just how great a leader Reagan was. In the late 1970s, which seem so long ago now, America was truly a nation in decline. Our military was weakened and a demoralizing retreat from Vietnam lingered over it. Our economy was stagnant, inflation rampant, interest rates going through the roof. Unemployment was 7% and growing. There was an oil crisis, grain embargos, american hostages held captive for month after month with no American response. Over all of this loomed the Soviet juggernaut. An empire whos Russian boot rested on the necks of 14 other "republics", all of eastern europe, and with the invasion of Afghanistan, threatened to push into the middle east as well. Communist revolutions and coups were happening all over the place. The plot line in Red Dawn actually seemed plausible enough for an author to conceive it. And at this time, when a rational person certainly could have given up all hope and become resigned to the fact that an era of American greatness was coming to a close, one person refused to bow down in the face of all of this bad news. And of all people, an actor.

While Mr. Hippy war protestor guy is lamenting the fact that "everyone is against us" he is completely avoiding the real issue at hand. The question isn't whether we have enough friends or whether they are the right friends (I guess Mr Hippy doesn't like Polish people). The question is, are we doing the right thing. If we are, as I sincerely believe, then it matters not who is on our side, if anyone. That is what you find when Reagan says things like "...preserve this last great bastion of freedom..." He's saying that even if all the other democratic-republics in this world fall in the face of an evil threat... even if we as Americans stand alone, shouldering all the burden that the current peril can bring down upon us... even if it costs a fortune to go on, even if our young men and women must be put in the gravest of danger, that we as a people are not going to give up because we know our cause is right and our enemy must be vanquished.

Since 9-11 I have found myself often wondering what Reagan would do if he was president. I have no complaints though. Though no one will mistake GW Bush for the Great Communicator, Bush does have a good moral compass and he is rock-solid in his determination to fight terrorism. Anyway, you da man Ronnie,

[​IMG]

j

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Pretty damn good I must say:waytogo:

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

4. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

Well said. Well said.

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Preach On , my conservative brother!

One of my favorite memories of the Reagan years was Ollie North promising the dems he'd roll over and implicate Ronnie in the Iran Contra thing, and then once he got on the stand, took all of the blame himself... Teddy " the swimmer" kennedy's reaction was priceless. They're still pissed about that, lol.

Reagan understood that the US faced 2 mortal enemies.. the commies, and the democratically led US congress, who were / are commies in nicer suits.

In comparing W to Reagan though, I wish Ronnie had the same vehement hatred towards radical islam that he had towards communism. 9/11 might not have ever happened had the movement been crushed in it's infancy. W sees things that have eluded past presidents, including his dad. He understands the islamic threat, and the whole social security reform thing is so overdue it's not funny.

I think the reason libs hate W is the fact the he takes action on clintons campaign promises. For 8 years clinton spoke of tort reform, the impending social security crisis, the threat posed by saddam, etc. but it was just lip service, and he did absolutely nothing. They hated Reagan for the same thing. He actually followed through on what he campaigned on, and nothing upsets the dems like someone acting with integrity and morals.

Tom

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Really well stated!!!

I was in the USAF during the Reagan years. I was nervous about war at anytime, but proud as he11 to be an American!

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That should be submitted to a magazine or a newspaper... I dare say the NY Times, but it's too good for them.

8. jekbrown

lol, maybe the NY Post. Never make it into the Times. ;)

AFA Reagan and terrorists go, I don't think he had a problem understanding the threat (lets not forget Libya). I think he just (correctly so) saw communism and the USSR as a greater threat. After all, the terrorists suck and are hard to find, but 20,000 nuclear warheads is a much bigger threat. As they say in FHM, "Cipro never cured anyone hit by a nuke".

j

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

10. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

Brown, if you ever get down Texas-way, the Shiner is on me.

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

RONALD REAGAN has been my hero since he was elected.and still is.he was not a punk, fook with us and see what you git.:D :D :D :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag:

12. jekbrown

free booze, w00t! :grin:

j

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

:waytogo: Great post.:waytogo: