Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof lights, how did you run your wires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nofeartruckin00, Oct 24, 2002.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

For anyone who has offroad lights on there roof, where did you run the wiring? I currently have mine running down the outside of the A-pillar, and hate having all the wires exposed. Pics would be great too. Thanks everyone!

2. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I'm sure there will be many that say I did bad, But mine runs thru the trim on the a pillar, above the headliner and I drilled a hole in the roof under the rack and popped it out. I am not a fan of silicon, so I plugged the hole around the wire with MP 1. Ive never had a leak, and it insulates the wires well. Then I just ran the various wires up there where they were needed. Other than where they run up the side of the gutter hook-ups, I ron them thru the tubong of the rack for the rear, sides and of course front.
    On another post, someone said they used outside extension cord, I wish I'd have thought of that....might be worth considering. Double insulation is a good thing. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

What's MP 1?

4. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I was about to ask the same thing, so i will /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Is it some type of sealant?

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Its a type of caulk... go to a roofing supplier to get it. Its main use is for metal roofs arond tricky flanges and what nots. If it wont leak or rust a metal bulding roof over 15 years...I figure its good enough for my Blazer. One word of advice, You dont want to get this stuff on you or anything else as far as that go's. You catch hell trying to remove it.Its only like $7 for a tube and its usefullness is endless. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Hope it helps

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You dont want to get this stuff on you or anything else as far as that go's.

[/ QUOTE ] Especially on your hootus.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I knew the hootus was on its way back when I typed that...LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thank you.

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

quit talking about your hootus!!lol.wonder if that guy ever got his hootus cured of the ailment herculiner.

10. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I placed may bar a little back from center on the rain gutter then I wraped all the wires together with electrical tape ( good wrap no showing through ) then I routed it along the gutter to the back of the door. tucked it in the door frame. Now the tricky part. I pulled down the door seal and exposed the cab metal. used a dremel and ground out a notch to let the wire pass through. used some silicone to seal it up and pushed the seal back on. then I just routed it down the inside of the door frame and under the carpet. I live in a very rainy invirnment and this has proven to not leak and it doesn't chaff the wires either. I wrapped the wires all the way to the lights to help eliminate wear form the elements. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif