Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof loading

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sammy, Dec 8, 2000.

1. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

Hi all, I'm new to this board.

I have a K5 and would like to transport my 35x14x15 Thornbirds on the roof. If I build a roofrack on the hardtop for it, how much load can that roof take in case I will add more stuff such as driveplates, off-road lights, search lights and fuelcans to it. And please note that if I take the Thornbirds off the roof, I will put my 35" BFG's on the roof and go off-road. So it will rock and bump.

Anyone ever done this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well here is my veiw on the spare being on the roof.
    Center fo gravity is rasied. This makes the truck more prone to tipping.
    While I know the edges of the roof (where you would be bolting to) can handle 200lb without a problem (It's strong enough to hold my fat butt up) for running to the Home Depot for Plywood I'm not sure I would want that much weight tugging and pulling on the fiberglass top when banging around in the woods.
    You going to enjoy loading a muddy tire up on the roof? it's bad enough onto a rack on the back of the truck. I'm not talking the dirt on the truck I'm talking the dirt on you.

Overhead clearence is raised. You will not be able to park in any parking decks. Where I wheel there are several trees accross the trail just high enough to clear my truck. I wouldn't clear with a rack. Anybody Remember the Big Orange BFG truck with the matching shell and bumpers and the rack on the shell with the spare? Yeah the same one that was on Trucks without a Shell. Ever wonder what happend to that shell? They caught one of these tree's over the trails at Dixie run a couple years back. Not only did it screw up the rack it shreaded the shell. It came out of the woods in several large chunks in the bed. It was held down well enough that the lip of the bed was bent up pretty good.
    Yeah I like the confer racks and acctully seriously though about running one to stow jacks and shovels but these trails down here in the South east like grabbing them. My buds and I joke that we can tell the poser's around here. If they have roof lights that are not broken and bent up they don't wheel.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I agree with Grim, put the spare on the back or inside bolted down, this will help keep your center of gravity down, I am getting ready to install a Yakama Load Warrior roof basket to my soft top, but will not carry anything in it off-road (mostly for road trips to Moab), the nice thing is that it can be removed in less than 5 min for those times you need extra clearance which is quite often in a Blazer.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

4. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve,

How'ya gonna attach the warrior to the soft top? Won't that tear it? Just curious.

5. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

First of all I agree about raising the centre of gravity, and that it might be a problem of tipping over. Also about parking decks and trees and stuff. But hey, I live in the Netherlands (Europa) and it already does not fit any parking deck. Plus that Extreme Off-road here is childsplay to what you guys do over there in the US.

And about getting my hands dirty, I don't mind.

And oh, I ain't talking about a spare tire. I'm talking about 4 complete tires stored on the roof.

6. CK5

Sammy
    If you want to store 4 complete tires, you may want to think about removing the shell and build something custom (tire rack) and bolt it in the same place where the shell was. Are you sure you need that many spare tires?

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

7. CK5

I have one of the few Can-Back soft tops (stopped making them for the Blazer due to sales) and it can accept a rack. You install the four braces by burning 8 bolt holes in the top with a wood burner, it coterizes (sp?) the edges and then there is Elk's hide on either side of the bracket to prevent leaking, I was going to do a review on this, but because Can-back discontinued the top for Blazers there isn't much point. The brackets are really tall, so I am taking 2" out of the brackets so the basket will sit close to the roof of the top, the Blazer is high profile as it is.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

8. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

first of all. What is the shell?
    Second. There not spares. There off-roads who I may not one on-road in this country!

9. CK5

The shell is the hard top

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

10. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I don't even want to start om building such a thing myself. Can't even get the materials in this country. I'm thinking of reinforcement of the excisting shell.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The factory roof racks were only rated to be able to carry something like 100-150 lbs. 2 mounted tires that size would exceed that weight limit. [​IMG]

Perhaps tying into the sides of the roof would raise the limit somewhat, but if the truck starts really bouncing over a rough trail then I don't know how long the fiberglass would hold up. I'll bet replacement hard tops are not easy to come by in Europe. [​IMG]

If you really have the need to have 2 sets of tyres [​IMG] with you, you may want to look into towing a small trailer and carry them in that.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

12. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

Sure sounds like a good idee. But I think leaving the trailer behind with the on road 35" tires will result in just one thing. They will be gone when I return.

And it is nearly impossible to get a replacement top overhere. The K5 offically was never sold here.

I think I will go for a steel frame standing on the inside of the truck to hold the rack up.