Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof rack and lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Oct 18, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking of getting one of these, specifically the con-ferr one. I want to mount some lights on it and put the spare and hi lift on it. I'm wondering how much weight can the fiberglass topper hold? I probably wouldn't put more than the spare, hi lift, and tent or sleeping bags up there. What lights would be good up there, and how many? I'll be wheeling in the desert anwhere from a crawl to 20mph. I have heard roof mounted lights can cause glare off the hood. Is this true and is it a real problem? Wow. thats a lot of questions. Thanks guys and gals.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have seen those on the fiberglass tops, but don't realy know. The tops are pretty stout so I don't think there would be a problem. As for the lights, on the bajas we use to make a plate to go under the light to cut down the glar.

blazen91

3. arnold88

arnold88 Registered Member

I've been considering the same thing. I have a couple of guys running around town with the racks and lights on their rigs. I actually talked to a guy about the weight factor as well as the leaking situation. He said that he had no problems and he had the con-ferr on for 3 years. He had a full size spare (35X14), high lift, shovel, and 2 KC's. I don't know about the hood glare. I planned on buying the small PIAA's with the pencil beams. But I replaced my headlights with aftermarket high watt halogens.

[​IMG] Great works are never finished [​IMG]

4. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

5. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

YEAH!! Ive been wanting to do this too!...I was thinking that if you are really concerned that you could beef up the topper a little with fiberglass and some epoxy....just a thought...let me know what you hear will ya!??

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

One thing to keep in mind if you plan on putting a tire up there, is the weight when you are in an off-camber situation, makes it a little top heavy. My Can-Back soft top can hold a roof rack with up to 200 lbs. so I would think the hard top should be plenty strong for tire gear etc..

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

7. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I know many on this board have their prefernces, but the Wilderness Roof Rack that I decided on was a great choice. It has tons of acessories (hilift/lights perm and movable mounts, spare tire, shovel, and any Thule or Yakamia acessories, oh yeah and gas and water cans.) I just havent seen this many things for conifer. There are a few pics on my webiste. The install was quick and easy, the lights on the top facing forward have no glare and the rear lights cannt be beat. My hi lift is on the back and the side rails are empty now, but that will change soon. The weight limit has been tested. I stood up there to take some pics and (Im 6'5 230) and felt perfectly at ease. We also put a few chairs up there and sat one night with a sixer and a spot light.

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What do you guys use for "quick release power cords" for when you remove your top?????????? Or do you not go topless?

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

9. arnold88

arnold88 Registered Member

Hey Bone, where did you get the rack? Is there a site with ordering info? I'm shopping around for the best deal. How much did you give for that one?

[​IMG] Great works are never finished [​IMG]

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Here is a link to some photos of mine. It is an option you may want to look at if you are worried about weight on the fiberglass top. The rack slides in under the top and is supported by the bed vice the top. Mine is home built but I am sure someone can set you up with one somewhere.
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1245314&a=9200419

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

11. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

For a quick disconnect for the lights on my Roof Rack, I used a $3.00 quick disconnect wiring harness from Auto Zone used for trailers. Its a 4 prong harness (thats 3 male and 1 female connector) I had 4 wires coming from the roof so it worked perfect (2 postive and 2 negative) going to the bank of switches I have under the dash. It works great.

As far as the roof rack goes, Garvin Industries worked very well. They send out a good packet with ordering info and a color pamplet with tons of info.They worked with me on the phone about how I wanted to install the rack. They even sent me an extra bag of longer bolts and washers next day air to suit my needs.They are a good company. There is also a list of all the distrubtors that they work with. You cannt buy the rack directly from them. Also the prices that they list are suggested prices, the prices that I found from the distrubtors were slightly less. Basiclly what I did was call around the USA and find the price that I felt was best. Ordering outside of GA, ment no sales tax. But the shipping and handiling makes up for it. Either way, it was cheaper than the local distrubtors here in Atlanata. I ended up buying mine and my girlfriends from Aftermarket Accessories, Inc in Houston, Texas (713)643-5780 I dont know their website.Also, I think it ran about $300 or so, not sure it was a year or so ago. For info on the Wilderness Rack try www.wildernessracks.com

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I thought about what Steve said, think the weight would be a real problem in off camber situations? I have a 33x12.5 spare. I could leave it in the back, but I would really like to get it up there and out of the way. Looks like I better start saving my money first...

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas