Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roof rack fabrication help needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Oct 26, 2004.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I am looking at making a roof rack for my crew cab. I am thinking a basket style similar to the Yakima for a K5. My biggest problem so far is the mounting. So could those of you that have similar racks post some pics of the exterior and interior mounts. The ones that actually mount to the roof of the vehicle. Thanks for the help.

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of my rack mounts on webshots. The rack will look cool on a Crewcab. Make it to cover the whole roof! I plan to get a sqare tubing die and make a new Sububan rack like the current one but the whole length of the roof next time. The Safari rack I have now cost $600 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The little rain gutter sections are bolted onto 1/2" wellnuts drilled into roof, and are over three years old and have held 500lbs up there.

webshots

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

linky no worky /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thanks that is what I was looking for. I just wasn't sure how they actually mounted. I was thinking they might have a backing plate on the inside under the headliner. I may do it with a backing plate anyway since I have the headliner out. The rack will cover the entire roof to hold a big cooler, some ammo cans and have some off road lights across the front with at least one mounted on the rear to shine on the GN/5th hitch I'll be putting in the bed. I am looking to hold 100-300lbs on the rack. Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome.

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks! That Wilderness rack is almost exactly what I am thinking of and gives me some more ideas.

Monty

8. bigred85

bigred85 Registered Member

Kinda Off Topic, but does anybody know how much weight the fiberglass tops on the K5 will hold?

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm running a Serngeti on my Burb. http://www.kargomaster.com/serengeti.asp

I pulled a set of factory roof rack tracks off a Jeep Cherokee and pused expanding thread insert that installs like a rivet into the roof. I made sure to sue a sealer on it and had no leaks. Its the same style that was used on the Jeep it came off of. Then I made some custom brackets to go between the basket and the racks.

On a Crew you could go with gutter mounts.

[​IMG]