Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roof rack idea???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MNorby, Aug 3, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thinking of building a roof rack for the ol dodge, mainly because of the pain in the but it it having to move the full size 35" spare to hook up to the gooseneck every time plus the spare just takes up alot of bed room. Can't have any tire under the bed in the stock spare spot, the 5" exhaust takes up too much room. I have a toolbox in the front of the bed so essentially I only have a 6" long bed space. Thought maybe something like this built out of 1.5" .120 wall tubing might be a good spot for spare and other camping gear, etc. Would also be a good tie down section for the bed and maybe some more KC lights up there and some work lights point to the sides. Thoughts? It is kinda a rough drawing but I think you can get the idea

[​IMG]

2. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I would try to find some roof rack brackets that attach to the door sill and find a way to incorporate them into the design so that you don't have all that cantilever hanging out there over the cab. I think that if you find a THULE or SAFARI rack for you truck and use those brackets it will make the whole thing more stable.