Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof Rack On a Budget??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990SilveradoK5, Jan 15, 2001.

1. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

I am looking to make or find a roof rack system for my Blazer.

On the front the standard Raingutter rail will work great, but how do you all suggest to mount a rail to the fiberglass for the rear?
    It will be mainly using to carry two 17' canoes, weight should not exceed 180-200 pounds.

Again remeber this is on a budget, if I had the money I would pay someone to figure it out for me.

Gone Large and Loving It.

2. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Check my website out. I have some pics of my Wilderness Roof Rack. Its not too expensive, and they can adapt to take ANY thule or yamaka crossbar or accessories.. its well worth the money to me. You could get one for around $300 poccibly if you shop around. http://www.garvin-industries.com/

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

3. Wallyb

Wallyb Registered Member

I just bought a 90 Silverado Full-size blazer that had a chrome roof rack and air deflector on it. I took them off because I like the look better. If your interested, quote me a price and maybe I'll sell them to you! Let me know!

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Call Con-Ferr, they have a nice setup that works on the Blazers. I have a Con-Ferr 4'x5' rack on mine. They have the standard rain gutter bulldog clamps for the front, and the rear uses a rubber expansion bolt setup. Basically you just drill a hole in the fiberglass (make sure you use a high speed drill), and then you stick the rubber sleeve in the hole and tighten the bolt, it expands the rubber and holds tight. This is attached to an adjustable rail that attaches to your rack (kind of like an "L" bracket). Mine works great. I put some silicon in and around the hole, never had any leaks or anything. The rubber makes it accept the shock of your body as it twists and flexes. I had heard people say that you couldn't attach something to the metal body and the fiberglass shell solidly, but this rubber setup works great! Mine has been on for almost three years, no problems!! And I made custom mounts for when I take the top off in the summer, I just attach the rack to my rollbar, very easy!

Their number is : (818) 848-6993 or www.conferr.com (they call them "Adjust A Mount")

5. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I saw a real budget roof rack on a 'burban last week......made out of 2X4's......didn't look real nice...but when you're on a budget i guess!

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I've got a budget rack on my S-10 Blaze. I built it out of some 1/2" x 3" trim wood. It is really tough and held about 200lbs of firewood once. It only cost me about $20 to build and I attack it to my rook rack with 4 U-bolts. Here's a picture of my truck with it on or you can go to my webpage and there are other pictures with it on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>

7. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks kpanza that is exactly what I was looking for. I can use the bull dog clamps up front and the adjust a mounts in the rear and make my own cross members from 1" square tube steel.

This web site is awsome, owned my K5 for just a week and the site has already help me out.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith