Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof rack pics, lets see em / how to mount

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by urbanmx, Aug 11, 2005.

1. urbanmx

urbanmx Registered Member

My buddy got a tubing bender and I'm dying to make a huge roof rack for my Suburban. Whats the best / strongest way to mount one? I wanna get on top of that thing and load it up but I don't want it to cave in.

Thanks

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I helped build one for a crew cab. At first we bolted through the roof and used diff sized holes and bushing to take up the room between the 2 layers of roof but it was bad for "tin can" motion so also re-inforced to the drip rails. Here is a pic you can kinda see

1095762-DSC00985.jpg

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both are bolted right through the roof. I used small grade 8's through the roof supports. Mine has a floor and I only have the "tin Can" problem a little when its fully loaded and bouncing hard. I may support it more in the future, but it works great.

The Zebra Striped truck's does not have a floor at all. The roof has been carrying loads for 5 years like that. That's why I didn't wory quite as much.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Search, there was a previous thread on this.

Nice to see how some of the previous poster's racks have progressed.

Edit: Um, plz read that second sentence in the manner it was intended and not as a PP topic. :haha: :haha: :haha:

5. urbanmx

urbanmx Registered Member

Cbbr I'm glad you responded, I saw your rack in some pics but can't pm you beacause I'm not a paid member. That is just the rack I'm looking for, I saw someone selling something very similar on ebay (he makes each one custom) did you buy it from that guy and if so how much did it cost? If you did or didn't would you be kind enough to give me some rough measurements? Those lights you have on the side are awesome.

More pics of your suburban please

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks. It's 120" X 50". 1/2" square tube for the main rack. 3/4" for the floor. I bent the corners using a HF pipe bender and hammered the bulges flat on the carport floor. It was my first welding project and took a while, but was worth it.

All contact points are welded and it is bolted through the roof and through the roof supports with small grade 8's. The lights are mounted on L-brackets and were easy.

I e-mailed the guy on e-bay (blackout I think) and I really liked his stuff, but it was too expensive for me. I really don't know anything about him, but the stuff looks good on eBay.