Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof Rack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rlhenry, Feb 25, 2006.

1. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Okay, here's another question on bolt-on accessories.

How many of you have installed some type of roof rack on the fiberglass hard top? I'd like decent weight capacity and no leaks. I've seen it done with Can-back soft tops and a few other soft-top kits. I know I've seen them around on hard-tops, but most of them have been home-made and I don't know what kind of weight they can handle.

Any ideas? With one kid and another on the way, space for all the gear is becoming an issue. Imagine that.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

another thing to consider, especially with children involved, is center of gravity. adding "decent weight" to the highest point on the vehicle isnt exactly a good idea. the rig will become considerably less stable because of the higher CG. being in AZ, i assume you're playing in rocks. low CG is often critical there. you may want to look into some other options. maybe storage systems built to fit underneath the rear seat, and behind it. what kind of "gear" are you trying to carry?

3. AZOffroad

AZOffroad Registered Member

Personally, I would hesitate to drill holes and ruin the top. I looked at several K5's until I found mine, and I avoided the ones that had holes left over from the rack (most people had removed them). Also, a good point is made (above) by considering center of gravity.

Have you considered the racks that behave as a hitch and plug into the receiver? This way you get a decent amount of storage capability with a high payload, and you can remove it when you don't need it.

Just a thought.

4. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Actually, I don't do much rock crawling. This vehicle is mostly used for hunting/fishing/camping. Extra gear wouldn't be too heavy; tent, sleeping bags, that kind of thing. Damaging or ruining the top is my biggest issue. Once I get the rear bumper with a tire carrier, it will give me more in-cab space. That will help a lot and maybe I won't need the extra space.

Thanks for the info.

5. AZOffroad

AZOffroad Registered Member

Another thought would be to build a basket that extends off or above your tire carrier. Here is a link to sorta what I'm talking about. That kind of rack can also be installed above the tire.

I had the rear tire carrier bumper for my CJ-7 built by a local fabricator, and he let me do whatever I want as far as design. So, if you do that, you'll have all kinds of flexibility on how you can do it.

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I agree with storing equipment on a roof rack, not a good idea. I find it better when I take my hunting rig out for a trip to pull a small trailer that I load with all my stuff. When my '77 was my primary rig, I had a roof rack on it and at first it seemed ok, but then I noticed how much a PIA it was to load/unload and the wear and tear it was adding to my roof.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you have the ability to build a rack that bolts up where the top bolts up on the bedsides then thats the way to go. might even have to creap down the body a bit.

for toodling around the hunting and camping grounds there is nothing wrong with having some small gear up there. i say go for it, but if you decide to drill into the top get some outdoor silicone and seal the bolts up with a good coating before you bolt it all down. then seal around them.

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I think the roofrack is an awesome way to carry stuff. Just put your soft gear up there, like tents, sleeping bags, clothes and stuff on top and you really are not talking about all that much wieght. Put the heavier stuff in the bed. I have a Suburban with a roofrack and its great to load it up and go.

Picture 079.jpg

9. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

On my 87 K5 I had in college, I put a Yakima rack on the roof using Q towers and a volvo kit where the holes lined up with the holes in my hard top. I used it all the time. I just went to rei with the measurements between the holes and matched up a kit that fit. No leaks, lots of stuff on the roof, It was stock w/ 32's and I put 4 kayaks on there and didnt have any problems with ride or handling. Just use your head when loading and you'll be fine.

10. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

man, you gotta be careful posting up pictures of yourself like that. you may be tempting people to stumble over you and lust. terrible. that photo is just a little on the sexy side of things. :haha:

11. colbystephens

another way to increase storage space is to put up one of those dog fences which expands between the bed and the roof, then put some kind of shelving in using the place where the top bolts to the body as the support for the shelves. that way you don't have to worry about tall loads of stuff flying forward on to your kids.

12. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Or you could use something like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I don't know about him but 'burbs are always sexy.

What type of roof raock is that tomseviltwin?

14. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

You got any more pics of your cage and interior?

15. colbystephens

i like that set up with the grating in the back. what all did you use to make it?

16. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Sorry guys, I forgot to check back on this thread. Work just gets in the way.

I don't have a cage or anything. My interior is just plain stock. That truck was a Oregon Department of Natural Resources truck and came that way. That grating looks like it would be easy to make as long as you had the right dimensions. I can take more pictures of the grating if you want. It's in storage right now. I took it out to sand it and paint it flat black but haven't gotten around to it yet.. You can't imagine how much that white grating interferes with your vision out back.

If I could change anything it would be to add the grating to the bottom rails too. It's not that big of a deal though. If the seat is locked down stuff can't get past anyway. The PO used to keep his dog back there.

17. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::haha::haha:

18. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

can i see some pics of peoples roof racks???would keeping just the spare ratcheted down be fine?

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Still haven't finished it yet even tho I started it last fall :doah: but here it is so far

[​IMG]

20. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

HOLLY rack Muddytazz...thats gotta be the biggest rack I've ever seen:eek1:

no pun intended:doah: