Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof Rack

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BradB, Sep 8, 2001.

1. BradB

BradB Registered Member

Does anyone know if a 4.5' X 7' X 6" rack (from either Conferr or Garvin) is wide enough to mount to the raingutters over the cab? Should I go with the 5' wide version? Thanks

Brad

2. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

My garvin is 5 x 5 by 6.To answer your question, its wide enough to mount to the rainghutters but is it long enough? Wait, you must be ordering the 4.6 x 7 6" thats for a SUB? Am i right? I think you should be ok with that. SO the front to the rain gutters and the rear into the hardtop? Reaaaaaly need to get everything to line up right to make that level.

Ben
    85 K5 (me)
    91 Sub (Dad)
    90 K5 (Me & Dad)
    95 Sub (Mom)
    96 Tahoe (girlfriend)

3. BradB

BradB Registered Member

Yes, I want to put the Sub size rack on my Jimmy. I think the single layer of fiberglass jusst above the windows is pretty close to level with the raingutters, but I'm not sure that 4' 6" (54 inches) is wide enough to mount to the raingutters. My measurements say it is 58" between the gutters, therefore, if the rack is 54", I would need the mounts to be at least 2" wide in order to fit. Does anyone know this? Thanks.

4. BradB

BradB Registered Member

Is it reasonable to assume that the garvin rack would also fit??

5. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I think so. The garvin guys (at the factory) are real nice. They sent me a few extra parts and talked to me ont he phone quite a few times since I mounted mine a slightly different way than they suggested (to beef it up a little)

Ben
    85 K5 (me)
    91 Sub (Dad)
    90 K5 (Me & Dad)
    95 Sub (Mom)
    96 Tahoe (girlfriend)

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I have a conferr that I decided not to run when I found out Kpanza gets 4mpg less with his w/a 35" tire on to Im going with a rear rack

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s