Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof Rack?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen_md, Mar 14, 2002.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Looking for a roof rack to carry spare tire high lift jack and put a couple lights on. It is on a 90 k5 blazer. I would appreciate any help or part numbers that u could give me.

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yakima load warrior.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, take a look at the Con Ferr racks...that is what I have and know several guys with them also. I have the 4'x5' Porthole rack w/ 6" sides. Have my spare up there, extra driveshaft, axleshafts (in plastic pipes), put gas cans up there on long trips and also have lights on it. Mine attaches to both the metal top (raingutters) and to the fiberglass topper with special brackets from Con Ferr. They use rubber expansion bolts in the fiberglass top, allows for flex and are very stout.

I will warn you of one thing - the aerodynamics (as if our Blazers were "aerodynamic" to begin with) after you put a big tire up there (mine is a 35) really change. I have documented quite a difference in wind drag with and without the tire and rack up there. Just something to think about. I really like the versatility of throwing extra stuff up there on trips, so is a tradeoff I guess.

You can see mine here:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/socalbigdawgs/>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/socalbigdawgs/</a>

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Great response, Keith ! It's good to see that you added the cons of having one as well.........nicely done.

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Thanks Riz, I try to be as candid as I can, since there are always two sides to every story! I know that I like it when people give me an honest answer, so I try to do the same. I get suspicious when people say that something is full of "pros" and no "cons"!

7. 84Blazr

84Blazr Registered Member

I have a Wilderness Rack and it has held up good. It has a lot of accessory items for it also. the Con-fer is also a good rack too. it is true about the wind drag w/ the tire up top, BIG difference.

8. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have a wilderness rack too. I think they have a few more possible options than the confer. Both are good racks. Kinda depends on what you like. I think the looks are really the only difference. The price is close to the same for both. Wilderness racks allow you to attach your Thule or Yakima cross bars to the rack so anythong you can put on the crossbars, you can mount to the wilderness racks. Also the wilderness racks are made in alot more sizes. Im sure you could get one to fit the entire length of the K5 (only if you wanted that of course) Also wilderness (gavin industries) also sent me a few extra parts for free to allow me to mount it a number of ways. Of yeah and I think the wildernes rack is the only one you can mount you hi-lift on the back instead of the side since the wilderness rack is a full 5 feet wide.

Here is the link also: http://www.garvin-industries.com/

9. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

When I researched racks a while back, I was totally shocked at the prices ($300 - $600 range). I really wanted one until I saw what they cost. Plus - drilling holes in my top to mount the dagone thing didn't set too well with me either. I'm back to looking for swing out spare carriers now. Those puppies ain't cheap either. Go figure.

10. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

FYI, the holes dont leak and mine havent given me any problems..also easy to take off rack.

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I've got the wilderness rack in 5'x7' on my burb and I love it. It's rugged, strong and big enough to carry gear for a family of six on camping trips. I have no leaks and no worries, although I admit reluctance was felt as I drilled 16 half inch holes into my previously perfect sheet metal.

tom

12. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I too did not like the price factor, so I bought some metal and I'm building my own. I should have it finished tomorrow. It is fashioned much like the Con-ferr, it is 42"x50" and is designed to mount where my factory rally rack is. I will be making quick disconnect mounts, and prolly some sort of "spoiler" to help deflect air over it. I will be mounting a 48" Hi-lift, Polaske, Shovel, Locked storage box for tie-downs and maybe some sort of sealed Rubber-maid box. I needed more storage inside my rig, cause the back end is already full, so I figure if I must throw something inside, I can put my toolboxes and Fire turnouts up top for the time being. I will post pics once I'm finished.
    Later...Allan

13. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Who has that large tube rack that comes down on the sides in all 4 corners?

There were pics of his truck doing donuts in the mud a few months ago....

14. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status