Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof racks...love them or hate them? I have PICS also!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Feb 16, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Finally got around to taking a pic of newly installed(last summer..owned since last spring) roof rack. I plan on using it alot when camping, fishing and kayaking this spring and summer. I want to install some secure metal(black) boxes to store tools and stuff, but still working on that plan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like them, and plan on getting one in the future.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[​IMG]

Worked for me, but you may have to log in at the imagestation site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I love them, my Burb has the factory one that i have used so much, i can no longer tighten the bolts up holding it on, just knida sittin there now and don't dare tie anything down with it. I need to get me one of those Safari type racks. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Good for coyote hunting, and shade when the top is off. [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Good for coyote hunting, and shade when the top is off. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm Jealous! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

How do you secure them to the top?
    Just drill all the way through with big bolts or ??

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I like mine but don't think I will get to use it much. It's just too high up. Maybe for sleeping bags and the like.

[​IMG]

Mine is a home made jobby with .875 hrew tubing and some laser cut spacers between the tubes. The spot lights, cb antenna and scanner antennas are attached to it.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Is this one of those Mines bigger posts?

Can I play?

52x76 inch Kargo Master http://www.kargomaster.com/serengeti.asp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats my Tow rig. I have the cargo rack for bikes, Generator (Honda EU2000 I plan to get) and 2.5 gallon Jerry For when we are camping with the Airstream.

I have the light mounts, Shovel and Axe as well as High lift mounts for it but thats a 2wd truck. I might put the axe and shovel on but I don't see a Need for the Hi Lift.
    The big Hella's May make it up there.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Am i to assume that you MADE this rack fit the top of your Burb? i went to the web site, and according to what i found, they didn't have anything for Burbs this old, mines an '89 and i would like to get one. ??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. B_to_C

[ QUOTE ]

How do you secure them to the top?
    Just drill all the way through with big bolts or ??

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how i did mine. Works good and not the $100 "installation kit" they tried to sell me. Mine was tops $15 at the hardware store...some nuts and bolts, some rubber gasket, and clear silicone.

[​IMG]
    It may not be pretty but hey, neither am I and i get along all right! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

What was the cost of the rack on the blue n white Burb?

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Holy I want this styled one! where can I get one???

[ QUOTE ]
    Good for coyote hunting, and shade when the top is off. [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Holy I want this styled one! where can I get one???

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I like that one too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Made that one myself, Hooked it to the back bumper and a bar off the frame, so 3 or so guys can stand on top easily. Takes two guys to take it on and off and four bolts. Pretty handy actually. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I would at least get some shorter bolts, that don't protrude so far inside, and then put acorn nuts on the ends. Those suckers would punch a hole in your head in a rollover! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. B_to_C

[ QUOTE ]
    I would at least get some shorter bolts, that don't protrude so far inside, and then put acorn nuts on the ends. Those suckers would punch a hole in your head in a rollover!

[/ QUOTE ]

-One step ahead of ya (that pic was when i first installed it, and yes obviously you don't want bolts coming that far into the passenger compartment.) Oh and BTW they wouldn't be puncturing my head, it would be the people stupid enough to ride along with me in the rear seat /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I would at least get some shorter bolts, that don't protrude so far inside, and then put acorn nuts on the ends. Those suckers would punch a hole in your head in a rollover!

[/ QUOTE ]

-One step ahead of ya (that pic was when i first installed it, and yes obviously you don't want bolts coming that far into the passenger compartment.) Oh and BTW they wouldn't be puncturing my head, it would be the people stupid enough to ride along with me in the rear seat /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Couldn't you just turn the bolts over ??? Would it matter how far the stuck up through the roof, you could always just cut them off past the nut. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Am i to assume that you MADE this rack fit the top of your Burb? i went to the web site, and according to what i found, they didn't have anything for Burbs this old, mines an '89 and i would like to get one. ??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just the standard Serengettie. I installed a set of roof rack C tracks off a 88 or So Jeep Cherokee. I grabed a couple extra of the threaded cleats that go in the track to get my 4 mounting points per side.
    I used thread inserts on the roof tracks to get a good strong mount. You can buy legs that will fit the Jeep roof rack but I just made mine.

Got the rack with gutter mounts , shove, axe, high lift mount and 4 light mounts for the front used from a club member for $300. Did some pricing out of all the gear he has and best price I found was about $620 plus shipping.