Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof Racks??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990SilveradoK5, Apr 24, 2001.

1. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

I want to install a rack on my 90K5 to carry two canoes. I have found brackets for the back fiberglass and for the front rain channel but what heights go together.

Any one using the brackets found at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.conferr.com>http://www.conferr.com</A>????

The front rain channel brackets are called Bulldog clamps and the ones that go the fiberglass are Adust-A-Mounts.

Would I use the HD-2 Bulldog or the HDS-2??

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Sorry have no experience with that brand ... went with YAKIMAS ... Had a canoe, bike, and surf board on my truck all the way to Cape Hatteras.

I simply called Manufacturer's tech support line. Walked me through the entire set up. Piece of cake.

Give the tech guys a call.

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, I have them on my Blazer, with a 4x5 ft rack...I am pretty sure I went with the HDS-2 version...just measure the distance between the top of the roof and the rain gutter and make sure the clamp is high enough to clear that distance. A trick I learned from a friend - when you mount the bulldog clamps, they will naturally try to "spread out" because of the angle of the gutter (you will see the outer part of it try to move away from the gutter)...once you get the height you want, and everything is set the way you want, drill a hole through the outer clamp and the back clamp and put a bolt through them...this will keep the two clamps tight together and you will never have to worry about the thing coming off the roof. (FYI - I ran the bulldog clamps without the "extra bolt" for 2 years and never had a problem, but I do feel that it is a worthwhile extra couple of extra minutes of your time) Also, when you put in the rear Adjust a Mounts, make sure you use plenty of silicone to seal up those holes in the fiberglass! I also sealed the bottom of the clamps to the top (just so no water can even get NEAR the holes!!)

Keith

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i install yakima racks at work. there are 3 options, 2 of which require drilling in the hard top.
    email me Confederate9@aol.com
    i work at a canoe/kayak shop, called Pro Canoe and Kayak.
    let me knwo if u want the info.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

5. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the Picture Desertrider, I do not plan on purchasing the rack to go with the brackets. I want to have support over the cab and over the fiberglass for my 17' aluminum canoe or two and the occasional extension ladder or two.
    I will run a 1" piece of square tubing stock from one bracket across to the other and will tiedown to it.

Confederate9, thanks but the budget/other half won't allow me to purchase a full rack system. The 90 odd bones for the brackets is even going through the channels slowly.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith