Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roof/Windshield picsof 73-75 Full Convertibles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, Aug 21, 2005.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Any body got pics of where the top connects to the windshield, and also any other place that You would have to cut the cab and doors of a 76+ to make it full convertible. I'm wondering if I would have to use parts from a donor 73-75 or if I could just cut it and weld in panels in order to install a Fastrack Full Covertible top? Iv'e never seen what these areas look like with the top off though.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

3. BigCountryx

Thanks, I saw that tech write up, but was hoping someone had more pics of how the Fasttrack roof connects at the windshield. I'm thinking that I would more than likely have to have a donor truck to pull this off. But I'm not quite sure what the brackets for the soft top look like as I am not interested at fitting a hard top on my rig.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Went out and snaped these fer ya.................'bout dark![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't see a problem with yer idea, if you don't use a hard top.........I don't, even though I have two.

There is a brace that is inserted into a drilled into the windshield frame, should be easy for ya to weld a metal plate/brace for it. Get ya a photo of it later.

5. BigCountryx

That's what I'm talkin 'bout :D Looks doable. I'd just have to get the door pieces for when I cut it and the rest I think I'd be able to fab. Might be no more expensive going this route vs. replacing all the seals on the cab/topper, rear window seals, Replacing my crappy sliders with solids and My rear window is scratched from years of having worn widow belts. Not to mention, much cooler :wink1:

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't forget to renforce the the body somehow, as the '73-'75 have a heavy sheetmetal box welded underneath the body on each side. Unless it's for street only. Post ya a pic of my rusty '73 ones WIGAC.

7. BigCountryx

What happened to the pics of the brace that hooks to the windshield frame and the other pics? WIGAC my arse, stop searching for a caption of the day! hahaha Just bustin' yer chops.:haha:

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

What is that part you're holding?

Does anyone have pics of the 'rocker boxes' ? Please, please, please?

10. 73k5blazer

It is the 73-75 K5 door reinf. When you cut the door post, that section becomes very flimsy. It's an important section too because the door handle you pull on is right there. So the factory had added this reinforcment to K5 doors ('73-'75) to strenghten that area. That piece ties inner and outer and back surfaces of the door, also holds one of the handle bolts and has the screw holes for the post cap. The top pic is that reinforcment installed in the door.

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Ohh nice. Thanks. I will be doing the conversion myself maybe before the summer. I've got the doors from the '75 so I should be ok. I am missing the piece that fits directly on top of that support. Any idea if it is available from LMC or somewhere else?

12. 73k5blazer

Those are not available from GM anymore. They are available from Chevyduty, or LMC. Although I don't like LMC's, they are really thin plastic, and no weatherstrip on the bottom side like the factory had to seal around the window when its up. I would imagine chevy duty is the same, but who knows. I saw a pair on eBay (NOS) a few months ago. Probably die waiting for them to show up again though.

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

hehe no doubt! Thanks for the info.