Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roofers......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Beast388, May 2, 2004.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I will soon find out how far I am out of my senses. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Memorial Day weekend I am going to roof my house. I have a total of 16 square to do. Most of the roof has a pitch of 10/12...which is about a 40* angle.

Anyone have any tips and/or tricks for me? I have a coworker in my office who does 4-5 roofs per summer on the side and I have been pelting him with questions and soaking up any knowlege he throws my way.

I will renting toe-holds & scaffolding and borrowing a nailer and 20' plank for the scaffolding. I have a pretty good list of the materials I need and have ordered it all for delivery.

I only have 2 layers of shingles and 1 layer of shakes to remove before I can begin sheating it all with plywood. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

So what do you all think? Am I nuts? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Got any advice for me? /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

A bottle of painkillers and you'll be set... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

wood shakes , damn is that a mess.you'll be black when your done.a 20 ft blank is awfull wide ,it will bow to much. try 10 or 12 foot instead.and don't nail the roof jacks to tight(the thing that holds the board you will be working off of) or they are a bitch to move.where did you order your material from,andwhat kind of shingles are you using? i've been in the industry 20 years. daryl /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A bottle of painkillers and you'll be set... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I'll probably need those after the first hour of tear-off. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Let me know how it goes, I have to change my roof this summer, too. Can't afford the 3k a buddy wants to do it...

6. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

Go to a roofing supply and get toe board jacks. They are cheap and you can use 2x6 as a walk board. Use 3 16 penny nails per jack into the rafters every 4 to 6 feet.
    Get some short pitch forks for the tear-off. Start near the top and let the material slide down. Standing your new plywood on end at the eave will save windows and plants as the material slides off.
    Safty harnesses are prefered. Cheap insurance at the slope.
    Start your sheeting on a rafter on the bottom. This makes nailing stonger and you dont have nails through your eaves.
    If your plywood falls between your split sheeting at the top edges fill in with 1x3 or move the 1x4 to split the difference. This will keep the plywood from buckling later.
    Exspect everything to take twice as long as you think and call in as many favors with friends\family as you can.
    Any other questions pm me and i will help in anyway i can!!
    Have fun, Bret.

7. boggerless

is there an ABC SUPPLY near you guys? i can hook you up with the material price? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    wood shakes , damn is that a mess.you'll be black when your done.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, that is what I hear. My house is over 100 years old....and I am about to tear off the original roof. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    a 20 ft blank is awfull wide ,it will bow to much. try 10 or 12 foot instead.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The plank is aluminum. Do you think it will still bow?

[ QUOTE ]
    and don't nail the roof jacks to tight(the thing that holds the board you will be working off of) or they are a bitch to move.

[/ QUOTE ]
    10-4! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    where did you order your material from,andwhat kind of shingles are you using?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I ordered everything from Lowe's. I am using Owens Corning Supreme 25 year 3-tabs. I spoke with a few roofers and asked them what holds up well around these parts and quite a few of them like the Supremes. I would have liked to go with the Architectural style but $$$ did not allow. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Thanks for the tips and advice. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. boggerless

is there an ABC near you? the architectual shingles are not that much more and are way easier to lay,you don't have to be right on and thay still look great.i have the 50 year warranty ELK shingles on the crib and the 30 year's on the garage.we deliver for lowes and home depot,they don't have conveyer trucks to shoot the material up on the roof.so people actually pay more and we deliver it anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Go to a roofing supply and get toe board jacks. They are cheap and you can use 2x6 as a walk board. Use 3 16 penny nails per jack into the rafters every 4 to 6 feet.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I will be renting 16 pairs from the local retal place for $6 per pair. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I hope that is enough. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Get some short pitch forks for the tear-off. Start near the top and let the material slide down. Standing your new plywood on end at the eave will save windows and plants as the material slides off.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is the plan. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Safty harnesses are prefered. Cheap insurance at the slope.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Definately, I am borrowing one from a coworker. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Start your sheeting on a rafter on the bottom. This makes nailing stonger and you dont have nails through your eaves.

[/ QUOTE ]
    One tip I recieved from my coworker was to start sheeting at the top and then felt each row as you work down. That way you can walk up the roof using the gaps between the original roof boards. He said it is a pain to try and walk up fresh plywood to lay more plywood and felt. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    If your plywood falls between your split sheeting at the top edges fill in with 1x3 or move the 1x4 to split the difference. This will keep the plywood from buckling later.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am hoping that I won't run into that, but knowing my luck I will. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Exspect everything to take twice as long as you think and call in as many favors with friends\family as you can.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is the way everything works for me so the roof should be no different. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I am renting everything for a week. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Any other questions pm me and i will help in anyway i can!!
    Have fun, Bret.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    is there an ABC near you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have either visited or called every supplier I could find in the area to get advice and prices and did not come across ABC Supply. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I have heard that the Arch's are easier. The roof on my porch was replaced 2 years ago with 3-tabs. So the plan is to match the color and roof the rest of the house. If I went to Arch shingles I would have to replace the porch as well. So not only are the Arch's more $$$, I would need more bundles. Limited budgets suck! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Let me know how it goes, I have to change my roof this summer, too. Can't afford the 3k a buddy wants to do it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I will end up spending about $1500 for materials/rentals alone. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. boggerless

i'll look tomorow and if there is one close enough i can get you a discount.two hours is not to far. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. rooferbret

It is really worth a few more dollars to go laminated shingles. Very easy for the first time installer and your casa will look and be worth more.
    Home improvement warehouses will ground drop on that slope.
    No fun packing everything up a ladder.
    You can set some of the planks near the ridge for the shingles.
    Bret.

15. boggerless

exactly /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif do you ever use ABC?theres about 20 of them in cali. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. rooferbret

I use the one in martinez. Great people and close to the office but they are not our main suppler.

17. boggerless

thats cool,i've been doing it twenty years and people shop were they are comfortable.i don't care but if i can help a CK5 member get a deal on roofing i will. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. rooferbret

My company does alot of single ply and we use supplers that handle certain ones. If a shingle job requires elk (My favorite and is on my house) we go to abc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

He did call in a favor, me /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Should be very very interesting.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

There is an ABC store in Moline and Davenport.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif