Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roofing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 24, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Any roofers in here with some tips?

I got a quote from my future bro in law for $3000. He was quoting materials and $1000 for labor. I was at Home Depot last night and while I was there, I figured, "Hmm, lemme see how much materials would actually cost". All said and calculated, my entire back roof will actually cost around $170 in materials. Including weather watch, building paper, new flashing, tar, and cobra ridge vent.

So weather permitting, I'm going to attempt to do my roof this weekend. I'm thinking I'm going to do a skylight while I'm at it, since I'll be saving $2700... Any tips from a pro in here to keep me from doing it again in 5 years?

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I have done a few roofs before-long time ago. No big secrets to it. Make sure your plywood is still in good shape, add new tar paper, use a chalk line to get your lines straight on every row and let the nailling begin.
    How big is this roof? Just wondering why a relative was going to charge so much. I think a lot of his price could have included hauling and disposing of your old shingles. Worse case, you get the old ones tore off and get stuck then maybe he can help you and it should be a cheaper price since you have most of it done.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like your future Bro-in-law doesn't like you too much... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I thought that too /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like your future Bro-in-law doesn't like you too much... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

They say they like us... He's marrying the one person from that family that claims she's detached and wants nothing to do with the bad blood, but who knows, he hangs around the psycho part of the family quite a bit, and probably at this point thinks I murder babys and push old ladies into traffic.

I think they all (my in-laws) think that I wipe my arse with dollar bills, and he was trying to capitalize on that, not expecting me to check any prices or expecting me to just say "go" after his Quote...
    When we first got the house, he said he could do it for $1000. That was 9 months ago, before a lot of the family problems with that side of the family, etc etc. He's also trying to start contracting on his own with his own company, so he might be trying to get some capital together get that going... I don't know how he came up with his numbers, so I shouldn't assume he's trying to snow me... I don't think he at all expects me to price or buy materials, though. He mentioned some kind of price for a bundle that was way off from the home depot price (fiberglass three-tab).

Thanks for the chalkline tip. Little stuff like that is nice and helpful, otherwise I'd probably be sitting up there measuring each shingle before nailing it in...

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

How many square are you figuring $170 for? I'm asking because that don't sound like enough money for materials for roofing materials at all. Tell me the total square footage or the total square if you know it and I can give you a rough idea of material costs. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    for materials for roofing materials

[/ QUOTE ]
    Straight from the Department of Redundancy Department.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The roof area that needs to be done is 16 sq.yds/144 sq.ft., total, by his measurement. I'm going to re-measure it tonight, I don't think 144 is right. The size of the rooms under the roof are too big for that sq footage.

I think I meant $270... I made the first post from memory, I actually have the written down figures at home. In any event, it's dramatically lower than the estimate. My original plan was going to be that I'd buy the material and pay him $1k to do the labor (that was kind of what we talked about 9 months ago).

Home Depot's price/coverage for shingles was roughly $10 per bundle, 3 bundles covering 100square feet.

I figured I'd buy 6 bundles - $60
    Cobra roof ridge vent - $40
    200+ sq ft Building paper - $40 (I have it written down at home, I think $40 is a generous number)
    1 roll Weather Watch - $40 (might be high or low, it's muddy in my head right now)
    We already have a million nails left over from the front roof (odd situation, front roof was done, back was not).

I figured after all's said and done, even if I screw up and under-buy material, I'm way ahead of the $3k quote.

9. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

I looked in the phone book and found three places that give free estimates (I let them do all the figuring) then went to Lowe's, got the materials and did it myself. Saved a bunch on labor! The money I saved when into a new deck. Worth a try! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

We did our own roof- 1200 sq foot house......I can't remember how many bundles- but we went with the 30 year shingle....we laid it down over the original because the original was in okay shape, no corners coming up, no leaks etc... here in VT you can go 2 thick with shingles and meet code.....

It wasn't much fun, your legs will kill you if you stand, your ass and knee's will kill you if you sit....1 thing I will say..I'd only pay someone if they were doing a metal roof....shingles are wicked easy.

Brandy

11. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

You sure it wasnt 16 square??

Thats what roofers talk in...16 sq yards is 12'X12'. 16 square is 1600 sq ft..or 48 Bundles plus 8 rolls of 30lb felt plus 3 or 4 rolls of ice & water shield plus nails plus the labor to get the stuff up and the old stuff down.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

awwww dammit, i think you're right........

13. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I chose the easy way out, just hired it done. All in all, about $4000.00 to strip, new tarpaper, new flashing, and of course roofing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, re-figured it now comes to close to $700, with padding for miscellaneous stuff.

I'm glad I posted... I'd be runnin back to Home Depot saturday thinkin' "how the frig did I figure this?"