Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roofrack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGDEAL, Aug 17, 2003.

1. BIGDEAL

BIGDEAL Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gifwhats the best way to put a roofrack on

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

if you bought one, did it come with instructions?...

3. BIGDEAL

BIGDEAL Registered Member

i want to put one on but , where can i get the rain gutter mounts at good price or can i make them?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohhhh your back. Your brother tell you I had to go buy a burb because you wouldn't sell me yours? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm working on doing this without those goofy bolt on gutters. I'm trying to find the C track used on a lot of roof racks in a 8ft section. It sits flat on the rood and a lot of roof racks on the market offer an adapter to go on it.
    Check out how These barckets Mount to the factory style roof rack rails. That's the Channel I'm trying to find.

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

does anyone have a design or picture of their's? i'm thinking about making one.

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Man, I'd love to get a roof rack and mount my spare up there... but then I couldn't fit in the garage anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i made mine but i still have to finixh it. when i go to mount it im just going to use some angle iron and drill some holes in the roof and put some bolts through there.

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I used two black shelving strips(hardware store). They are the metal strips that mount to the wall, then utility shelves can be mounted on them. They are cheap, lowprofile and easy to mount. You can't see them from the ground...well not on my blazer anyways. They come in 24",36" or 48" lengths so cutting was not necessary.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Me and BigDummy89K5 built this one night at my work, it's bolted through the hard top and was sealed with silicone. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't leak.

He wanted it so he could carry his 11' aluminum boat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's fairly low profile, but it's also pretty beefy! We used a tight pattern expanded mesh for the 'floor' of it so the little stuff doesn't fall through. You can quite easily stand on it.

As for the garage fitting..yes it's pretty tight for him to get in the shop. We have near enough to the same lift, my truck is on worn 39.5's and his is on 36's and it's a tighter fit for his truck than mine.

Rene