Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rookie gearing questions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cojnit, Aug 13, 2002.

1. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

I have the GM corp. 14 bolt for the 3/4 ton pick-up in the back, and the Dana 44 in the front. My question is what are the stock gears for this combo and what are the biggest tires I should run wi this set up? Also any locker ideas for the 14 bolt? I read the tech article about welding it, has anyone tried this and to what sucess??

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the stock gears very from truck to truck the 14ff is not stock so someone put it in and they usualy came with 3:73's or 4:10's but some did come with the 4:56's /forums/images/icons/smile.gif a locker for the 14ff simple go with a detroit welding is ok and there are several people on this site who have done it and like it but you get increased tire wear with a welded rear vs the detroit that will unlock when going around turns if your foot is off the gas as for tires you can run any size with the 14ff but you have a 3/4ton dana 44 8 lug front? if so the only diferance between a 1/2ton and 3/4ton front is 8lug and the break size they both are the same as far as streangth but i think you would be ok with up to 36's on the front unless you wheel hard then you will need a dana 60 front /forums/images/icons/smile.gif hope this helps /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

the 14 bolt I believe is stock for this truck. It is a k20 pick-up. Is there any scenario that would require me to change the gear ratio? as I beleive this would be as good a time as any if planning to go with a locker install.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sorry i was thinking blazers lol you need to find out what gears you have now and what size tires you want to run if you are only going to run 33 to 36 id say 4:10's with no overdrive and if you want 36's and have overdrive go with 4:56's you need to find out what you have though and what size tires you want to run