Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rookie K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by saguy, Apr 24, 2004.

1. saguy

saguy Registered Member

Hey, i have an 88 blazer, i have 32" tires right now but i want to put a lift and 35x12.5x15 tires on her...now the problem, what size lift? i have heard from people that a 4" i will have to cut my fenders, others say i dont have to, could somebody tell me, if i got a 6 or 4 " lift, what all would have to be done drivetrain wise and all the rest...thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Leave your fenders alone unless you're going to be doing a lot of wheeling. Also, with 35" tires, you'll want to regear your axles or get new ones, but it's not absolutely necessary. Just make sure not to run in OD anymore or you'll burn that 700r4 up in the blink of an eye. Welcome to the site and best of luck with your K5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Depending on the flex and all you may have to trim with 4". Personally I would go with the 4". Like many people here I am running 4" of lift and much larger tires. I've got 39.5s on it, needs lots of trimming but COG is much lower and it flexes better than a bigger lift. If it were all about looks to me I might sway towards a 6" with 35s, but if you want to play and have a nice rig I'd consider 4" and a little bit of trimming.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Leave your fenders alone unless you're going to be doing a lot of wheeling. Also, with 35" tires, you'll want to regear your axles or get new ones, but it's not absolutely necessary. Just make sure not to run in OD anymore or you'll burn that 700r4 up in the blink of an eye. Welcome to the site and best of luck with your K5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

[/ QUOTE ] Depends, my newest K5 had 3.73s in it, I'd consider running that with 35s, wouldn't be a speed demon but it would work fine especially in an everyday driver.

5. saguy

saguy Registered Member

thanks for the help

thanks for the help, my truck is more a show truck than a mud truck, i have takin it in the mud once, and maybe in every blue moon i will take her again, so for looks and of course the cost of gas, 35s and a 4" or 35s and a 6", i mean if i gotta change a bunch of stuff with a 6" then i would rather get a 4 inch, thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: thanks for the help

Four inches is easier. There are still going to be issues with any lift over 2 inches. They rear pinion angle may need shimmed depending on blocks or shackle flip it may be more or less , you need to correct the steering , longer brake hoses, swaybar will not line up anymore unless you make spacers on front frame, get disconnects, or remove it altogether. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I just finished my 77 about a month ago. It went from bone stock height and 30's to a 6 inch lift and 35's. In the end i had to put some major shims in the rear which was no big deal. The front was a pain. the whole front end was cut and rotated slightly then welded back together. I put in small shims up front too and had to do some major grinding on the CV joint so it wouldn't hit and finally got some blocks to lower the swaybar moutns. Also had to lengthen both driveshafts and change from 3.73's to 4.56's. Then lengthened brake lines and made a bracket to drop the e-brake mount. I think thats it. But in the end it came aout perfect. It looks great and the drivability is even better. I love it. so really my advice is if you don't mind doing extra work you didn't expect and throwing down a few more bills then go with six it's worth it. but if you want a little quicker and maybe easier install then go with 4

8. saguy

saguy Registered Member

thanks mtnman210

thanks for the advice, how much money did you end up paying for all the other odds, besides the lift and tires ? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Re: thanks mtnman210

I ended up doing most of the work myself but i still ended up with around a 5,000 bill including the lift and tires with no wheels. So it's not exactly a cheap upgrade but in the end it's worht it.