Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rookie qestion about oil........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Oct 18, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok , easy one here. Who makes the best oil????? Not synthetic, just regular old crude oil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifFire away /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif BTW its going into a performance type car. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

castrol

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    castrol

[/ QUOTE ] thats what ive been told..........does it HURT the motor at all to SWITCH from brand to brand?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Assuming the synth has never been ran??

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yup , I run 20w50 all year long , Castrol it is for me /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I'll put my vote in for Mobil...

Dont remember where I read it, but Castrol had one of the highest ash contents of all the leading brands.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

you can switch whenever. from what I have heard you wanna keep it as the same base. Pennzoil and Quakerstate both use a wax base( both come from the same place so they should,LOL )

I'v actually have ran Valvoline is all of mine and have had no probs. The burb gets Delco (diesel) as will the new to me Dodge

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like Mobil too. I have seen tests and Mobil rates as good or better in all catagories than the higher priced oils. Wal-mart usually sells Mobil for 50 cents less than Castrol, Valvoline ECT. Why pay more?
    Chevron oil is also good stuff.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go get Napa brand oil for $1.09. It's valvoline oil in a napa bottle, I use it in all my gas trucks.

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Go get Napa brand oil for $1.09. It's valvoline oil in a napa bottle, I use it in all my gas trucks.

[/ QUOTE ] How do you know its valvoline???

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd like to see a scientific study comparing uber synthetic $5/qt oil changed every 3000 miles vs the cheapest ghetto total crap on-sale for $0.39/qt oil changed every 1500. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the cheap stuff worked just as well or even better.

j

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i got just one question about that.......why does penzoil leave deposits in peoples engines then?and others dont /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i got just one question about that.......why does penzoil leave deposits in peoples engines then?and others dont /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    That used to be the case a long time ago, they have changed their formula and make decent oil.

If you look at the addresses on the bottles for where it came from it's the same and I have been told by numerous Napa employees that Valvoline makes it for them. That is the case a lot with your generic brands, many times it is a well known respectable company that produces a product for a a company in a different container.

Napa gold filters are some of the best around. WHy? Because Wix makes them and prints "napa gold" on the filter. Heck, I've even asked for a napa gold filter for a specific application and the filter has "wix" printed on it with a Napa box. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Oh /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

The NAPA stuff is really a good buy. It is manufactured by Ashland Oil INC., makers of Valvoline. As for the Castrol mentioned earlier, yuck. I guess the multimillion dollar advertising they do has paid off. It is funny that Castrol uses base stocks for their synthetic oil that is not even as good as some manufacturers regular oil. They have also been investigated on their synthetic and synthetic blend oils. The problem is that the U.S. currently has no standards on requirements for oils to be called synthetic. I am in the oil changing business and can tell you that Castrol performs terribly when put to tests such as the V-block pin test, or the roller follower test, used when testing motor oils. You should see the damage under a microscope. Not good. Out on the west coast and some other areas Chevron actually manufacturers much of the base oils and it is blended and bottled by other manufacturers. It you research the history of oil development Chevron has been responsible for many of the breakthroughs like hydrocracking and isodewaxing. Pennzoil's pure base oil they advertised so heavy a few summers back was based on technology Chevron had in the 1980's. Also let me tell you that cheap oil is exactly that, cheap. Look at the ILSAC or API rating on that cheap stuff. It will not be current. The current rating is SL. It is surprising that some mass merchandisers have oil on their shelves that is manufactured using technology that is 30+ years old. Last year some of these oils were pulled off the shelf and tested and could not even pass the most basic quality testing. Stick with Valvoline, Chevron, Mobil, Shell, Havoline, Pennz or Quaker. For synthetic use Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Chevron. These are all good oils. Personally I use the Chevron Delo 15w-40 oil in all my rigs. It is approved for diesel or gasoline powered vehicles.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I should chime in on this one. This is not a plug for any of the manufacturers listed, just honest truth from someone who has grown up in the oil business.

15. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You say for synthetic use Amsoil, Mobil, or Chevron, so what are your thoughts on Redline and Royal Purple? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All synthetics are far superior to any conventional motor oil. What brand you pick doesn't matter--all provide more protection than any conventional motor oil.

Dead dino juice is just that--all equal if you ask me.

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Castrol GTX /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Valvoline /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    All others /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Valvoline.

181,000+ miles on a 4.3, engine does not leak or smoke, I never have to add between oil changes, the oil is still clear at 3000 miles, 70 psi of oil pressure at start-up, 60 psi when warm. Slick 50 oil treatment every 50,000 miles.

19. shawndzugas

shawndzugas Registered Member

My vote for conventional oil is Valvoline. Had a '87 Toy 22RE w/196,00 on it before it lit on fire. Used Valvoline since 30k, change @ 2500 mi. Buildup in engine was minimal. I always pour a quart straight through after I drain the pan to rinse out the dregs. Probably overkill, but habit. The new Valvoline MaxLife is suppposed to have better lube properties and better detergents even for lower mileage engines.

20. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey Jacob
    I am now a Bluebie /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif so i cant responde to your pm"
    so post here and hope you get - read this
    So sorry i dont know the sopranno brouther's from priate that is why I copied there email to me about your tires
    was just trying to help a fellow ck5 er out
    wont happen again
    oh and Best oil
    Depends on the motor and the miles but i am partial to Valvoline for general use