Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rookie question ujoint removal on the np208 side

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bnc04, Apr 8, 2004.

1. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Hi, Looks like I have a leak coming from center of the the slip yoke shaft that comes out of the np208? The drip is coming from the ujoint area and not from the seal that the slip yoke passes through to enter the 208. Anyway, I see that the ujoint is pinned in there ( unlike the rear which has bolts to remove the brackets holding the ujoint in. )
    How do I get the U joint out to see what is causing my leak? Pull the little pins? drill them out? etc? And what will I need to fix the leak? I'm assuming a seal of some kind.
    Thanks
    Brett

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

are you talking about the u joint in the driveshaft if so which drive shaft. if you have a np 208 then that is a slip yoke unless coverted to a fixed yoke but the yoke should just slip out of the transfer case...Jason

3. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

I can get the yoke out of the 208,, however I cant seperate the yoke from the driveshaft at the ujoint cause they are "pinned" in vs bolts and covers that go over the u joint caps.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

He lost me there
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you need to press the ujoint out.

6. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Sorry guys, i"m not doing very well explaining this.

ok, the drive shaft is connected to the slip yoke, I can disconenct the driveshaft at the rear end just fine by removing the bolts that hold the u-joints in place, I then drop it down and am able to pull the driveshaft and slip yoke out of the NP208. At this point, the slip yoke and driveshaft are still attached together via the u joint.
    This u-joint is pinned in through the ears of the slip yoke or drive shaft( I can't remember which one has the pins through the ears) So I am wondering how to seperate the driveshaft from the slip yoke. ( how to best remove the pins and then how is it re-installed? )
    Hope that is better?
    Thanks

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

OH, ok, i believe the pins you are referring to are the plastic injection molded pins from the factory? if this is the case, yeah, the easiest way is to have the u-joint pressed out, it simply breaks the plastic. I just use a BFH and a BUNCH of good whacks at them, usually with some sort of chisel or something, Real pain in the bootay.

Redneck STYLLLE /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Like big83 said, you need to press them out. For assembly line speed they molded plastic in there to hold the u-joint, versus clips which is probably what your familiar with. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Ahh ok, thanks!.. I like the redneck approach,, the only prob is I usually break stuff that way /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif So when I get a new u joint, will it come with a way to keep them installed? Sorry, Iv'e only done the type that have the bolts to hold them in, How will the new U joint be able to stay in place?

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Aftermarket u-joints have the clips for them, the factory units came glued with plastic.

11. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

great!,, Thanks Guys!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. k5-tx

k5-tx Registered Member

Re: Rookie question ujoint removal on the np208 side \\ LEAK

Just wondering, did you ever figure out what was causing the leak, /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif found my 88 K5 was leaking also from the u-joint area and not from the seal up the shaft where it slips into the transfer case...it is tranmission fluid, not gear oil..I assume there is a seal there or something broke that wasnt suppose to...will take a better look at it tomorrow...Thanks

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

On some gm cv shafts, there is a small hole at the tip of the splines inside the driveshaft, that allows tranny fluid to leak through onto the ujoints. I took my shaft off and saw that the hole had once been plugged with orange rtv, but it had come loose. I reapplied grey rtv, and the tried jb weld the next time and they both came off and are now leaking again. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    -Harrison

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

ANother thing I have heard someone can do is melt the plastic out with a torch, never done it becuase the factory joints had already been changed before I got my K5 but I heard it works.

15. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

I was able to hammer the heck out of the u-joints using a socket over the ujoint. It took some beating before giving way.

I'll try to explain what I found on the yoke. After pulling it and disconnecting it from the rear driveshaft, I cleaned it all up and then filled the tube with some tranny fluid and let it set in a vertical position. After a few mins I could see it had started to leak. Where? It was from a hairline crack between where the U of the joint was pressed onto the shaft. I cleaned it all up again and applied some JB weld around the circle on the bottom of the U. let it dry. re-installed in the blazer and it has been leak free so far. I had no idea that there could be a leak in that area and thought it was a solid piece. Hopefully that helps, Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Brett