Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rookie tune-up questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

I'm in the middle of changing all my belts, hoses, radiator, and adding a tranny cooler. I need help with a few things:

1. The stock heater hose from the heater core to the top of the intake has rubber then crimped onto metal piping. Should I remove this whole piece off the intake, cut the metal part with a tube cutter then reuse it to connect the new hose to or install some type of new fitting on the intake which I can run the new hose to?

2. The t-stats available were 160, 180, 195. I p/up the 180deg t-stat... Is this the right one for an '88 with all options?

3. Should I put a sealant on both sides of the t-stat gasket before installing?

4. How do I remove the crusted rubber off the heater core fittings?

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Im not too sure what you mean by the crimmped part on the heater hose but i do know that you should be just fine with the 180 thermostat, thats what im running and i have no problems. You should put sealant on both sides of the gasket, and a good way to remove old crusted rubber or gasket material is with a wire brush, best if its attached to drill or something similar

3. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

as forthe heater hose, I don't know what to tell ya. Mine just has a rubber hose that goes over a metal fitting that threads into the intake. Let me get this riht though, yours has rubber taht that is cripped to a metal piece, and then goes onto the metal one threaded into the intake. What I'm picturing is the way the A/C lines look like. I would only put sealant on the water jacket itself. The thermostat is doesn't have to be sealed because it is held in place bythe water jacket, just make surethe jacket gets sealed good. I have a 86 with all power and A/C and i run a 160 degree t-stat and it runs fine. The lower temperature thermostat you get the cooler your engine will run, which produces more horsepower, because it is not lost as heat.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

1) shouldn't be anything crimped. Hose clamp I'm guessing is what was there. (good question though, didn't think GM liked using hose clamps, but what else would be used there?)

2)195 is the "right" one. My personal opinion is that a lower temp thermostat will not help you in any way, shape or form. The warmer the fuel/air mix, fuel stays atomized better. You drop the fuel out of the mix, you'll deal with economy issues I'd bet. If you can't keep it cool with a 195, 180 or 160 will not help, except to slightly slow down overheating. The colder the engine temp, the colder the oil, the thicker the oil, the worse power/economy you will net. I wouldn't sweat a 180, but next change, I'd go with a 195.

3) sealant shouldn't be necessary, but I've had problems without it before, especially since the intake a lot of times (esp. aluminum ones) gets pitted, and you won't get a good seal with gasket alone. It won't hurt anything to use it, just make sure you don't use so much it runs into the coolant passageway when you tighten it down.

4) Heater core fittings I'd split the rubber lengthwise with a knife, then peel it off. Any residue I'd use a wire wheel if you have access to it, or once again, the knife to scrape it off.

5. Blazin Ed

Sorry if the explanation on the heater hose wasn't clear... The setup looks very similar to a PS hose. Looks like 3/4" rubber from heater core to 1/2" pipe about 10-12" long that threads on top of the intake. Any more suggestions to either cut the pipe and clamp the new hose onto it or discard it completely and buy a male fitting that will thread into the intake which I'll run the hose all the way to? What type of material if I buy a new one? Brass? Aluminium?

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The computer in your 88 requires a 195 degree thermostat. That is the one it is programed for. So unless you have changed the PROM chip. You should stick with the stock 195 stat.
    As for the hose just cut the Metal crimping and old hose off.
    There should be a barbed end on that metal line you can just slide a new hose on and clamp it.

7. Blazin Ed

Thanks for all the help guys! This site is the best thing that's happened to me and my K5!

Ed