Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RootBreaker is RootBreaker No More!!! sucks...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, May 1, 2004.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I lifted my truck in 1997 and NJ changed the laws... I was going with rockwell axles and 53" michelins... but now the new law is 38's and 33" to the bottom of my door.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

so yall know I am gettin my truck legal... well 33" to the bottom of my fricken door ehhh...

well put my 6" leafs on... DOH!!!! MY TRUCK IS SO SMALL CANT CALL IT ROOTBREAKER NO MORE!!!
    have to call it seedling buster, sap spinner, or something like that now...

my truck is so fricken small...

also before anyone says.. Pass it with all the little stuff and then slap all the big stuff back on

all I have to say is
    are the 100,594,956,099,765 person to suggest that.... BUT CANT DO IT! If I was going to do that then I would just go buy a sticker and not bother lowering at all.. The problem with that is that they put a sticker on your windshield.. it is like 4"x4' and says door height, and all that stuff.. plus you get papers with the truck.. so a cop with a tape measure will fine you $140 but I think you can only get 1 ticket per month... so that is only like $1600 a year!!!!

so I want to be legal all the way.. I talked to a buddy, a cop, and he said if the truck is legal in NJ and I goto bloomsburgh they cannot ticket me due to my truck being legal in NJ and I am only passing through PA.. and even then I would have 30 days to be compliant with PA's laws if I moved...
    Well go look for yourself.. at how small it is

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

You've got it made! In Mass. the law is variable due to wheel base and track width. There's actually a formula! Wheelbase X track width divided by 2200 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif So for a blazer that equals 3" of lift and 34" tires /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif We also have a door measurement that doesn't relate at all to the formula. For a Blazer it's 25" to the bottom of the door, and they give you 1" to play with. I wish our lift laws were as leinient as yours. Are there any laws against fender cutting or the tires sticking out past the body? We've got those too. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Needless to say, with 7" of lift and 39.5" Boggers I will not be legal. Not to mention the tires sticking out 8" or more from the body, no bumpers and cut fenders /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Nice truck by the way. I like the lowered look, but agree it could still use some height. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Would an RV plate or something like that help?

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Move

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree just don't come to Texas, way to many lift laws here! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW - RootBreaker, looks like your missing some lug nuts... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

huh? whats wrong with PA? I believe our laws aren't as strict. We have a bumper height, fender flare, and mud flap law, thats it. All of which my K5 is blatantly illegal on.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    huh? whats wrong with PA? I believe our laws aren't as strict. We have a bumper height, fender flare, and mud flap law, thats it. All of which my K5 is blatantly illegal on.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought 35's/38's are max there?
    but anyway I just bought my house...

what I need to do is find a 11k+ gvw truck then there is NO lift laws... but ill do that in a few years I will drive my truck the way it is and see how it performs... just need a winch now....

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no way, I run the 40s, if I had flares, and legal bumpers it would be street legal here. I've got a friend that drove a 15" lifted Ford daily with 42s on it, never got a ticket. Had a cop look it over, nothing.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You may still be able to pass if you have your door sill lowered. (that is, you lower it With some kinda extension-

NY has lift laws as well- but its a little unclear. Something like 33" from the lowest part of your truck. NJ is just rediculous like that- Why is it that I see more lowered cars in accidents than lifted trucks? Hummmm...

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where I live in Nevada the lift laws are really strict, but never enforced. The law states that no bumper, front or rear, can be more that 24 inches above the ground. I see trucks running all over Nevada with MAD lift on their trucks all the time (12-inch suspension with 44-inch tires). My 1-Ton has only a 3-inch suspension (I am planning to go 1-inch higher) with 35-inch tires, and the bumper sits 28-inches above the ground. My truck actually has a mild lift compared to some of the other trucks I come across in Nevada.

12. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

in nj if your truck is over 25 years old it quailies for QQ plates, with classic plates you dont have to run classic insurance. also the car is exempt from all forms of inspection... (as far as i know)

13. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Be happy you dont live in WI. Last I read for tires you cant go more than 4 inches above stock. DAMN COMMIES! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif That wont stop me from running 42's or 44's someday though.