Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rotating a front axle (pinion).

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jwduke, Dec 28, 2002.

1. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I'm needing to rotate the front axle (pinion) up 10 deg., on a D44HD. Do you cut, and reweld the axle housing ends & install 10 degree shims under the springs, since you can't move the passenger side spring pad, or what??? Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

SHIM IT! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just so you know, you're ruining your caster angle when you do that. I'd live with the crappy angle if I were you...or split the difference and only shim it up a few degrees.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

to do it right after you set your pinion angle, you cut the welds off the knuckles and rotate them to the correct caster

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The proper way to adjust that far (10 degrees) would be to remove the driver's side perch and put another one on at the proper angel, then have the passenger side perch milled to the same angle. Then you cut off the "C's" on the ends of the housing and reweld them at the proper caster angle. </font color>