Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rotating a pinion up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Dec 22, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Anyone rotate a pinion up? I am thinking of rotating my Dana 60 knuckles up some for better drive line angles?
    Any problems I should know before hand?

Thanks
    Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

2. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

we did this on my old blazer(see pics here http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/fasteddy454 then click on my toys)just have to make sure you scribe center lines across andkeep your cuts straight and level....we ground it out quite a bit to get some good penetration, and then put on some angle irons just for added strength....it's only a dana 44 so we weren't worried about screwing it up...but it worked great and has never given me any problems, but as you can see the contraption does not see any street duty (actually only ran it once in the last 6 years or so, maybe more...)....just my 2 cents...ED

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Well, as far as I am aware... You dont cut the tube. Just break the knuckle away from the tube, grind the weld away. Then pound it off the tube. Then rotate it, pound it back on, reweld it and off you go.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the knuckle part is not rocket science
    mark the tube and knuckle
    cut the welds out with an air arc
    bfh knuckle to new angle
    the cast spring perch is the fun part
    some people say you cant cut it some say you can
    cut as much as you think is safe and add a plate if you think it needs it
    then the studs,
    some jeep guys use a huge u bolt and gring the housing for clearance and use a custom top spring cap
    others drill new stud holes to match the new angle.

basically come up with what you are doing for the cast side and figure out from that what hieght the other easy spring pad needs to be, then do the knuckles and shock mounts

I havent done this stuff myself, as i didnt have a clue what was involved when i needed mine done. I payed an old guy that has done many of these.

one of the tools he used was a circular saw with abrasive metal blade installed, for the cast perch,