Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rotating pinion angle

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Mudologist, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Mudologist

Mudologist Registered Member

I have heard talks about shops cutting the knuckles off front axles and rotatioing the pinion angle up and then rewelding the
    knuckles back on, or spinning the axle tubes to rotate the pinion angle up. Has anyone heard about this or had this done???
    Also is the dana 60 pinion angle any higher than a dana 44 pinion angle? And how much higher is a reverse rotation dana 60
    compared to a standard rotation dana 60?
    Thanks

2. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

I had this method of pressing the axle tubes out, rotating the pinion up and pressing the tubes back in on my D60. There was also other machining involved that Dynatrac performed at a cost of 600.00. They do a first rate job. This was performed to lessen driveline angle and to restore proper steering geometry. Sorry I cant help you on your other questions.

MAC

3. Mudologist

Did you do this yourself or did you have dynatrac do the axle tube pressing? How did it work out for you? Did it hold up?

4. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Dynatrac performed everything. They machined the welds from the axel tubes, pressed out the tubes , rotated the pinion up, pressed tubes back in, rewelded tubes, relocated spring purches, shock mounts and steering stablizer bracket. They had to remachine the angle in the casted in spring purch, and redrill the holes at the proper angle. They also cleaned the axle housing and painted inside and out. They send you a work sheet with all the different measurements they need. Its just like driving a stock front end prior to lifting it. I have a 6" lift and generally 6 inches and more need some type of correction. Dynatrac advises against cutting, turning and rewelding the nuckles. Hope this helps.

MAC

5. Mudologist

Sounds good.. How much did they wack you for that?
    Thanks..

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Well, Dynatrac has certainly done more axle work than we have, but I don't see a big problem with cutting the knuckles loose and turning them. You'd be wise to measure the angles carefully before and after to verify that camber is correct, but it could be done. You may have some machine work on the casting to get the pinion to point up properly, so the 600 could be worth it in the long run. It does take a lot of time and dedicated machinery to do this kind of work. If everyone that's done it counted the actual hours involved, it would probably scare them. Building jigs takes a lot of time that's never recovered if you only do one axle.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD

7. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Stephen, I know also a couple of shops that cut and turn. I dont recall the reason why they dont recomend that procedure. Like you say, not too many shops set up to do that kind of work.

MAC