Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rotella in a V-8 Gas engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chalet2506, Aug 31, 2006.

1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any opinions on using Rotella T 15w-40 in a 400sb with about 100,000 miles and some pretty good leaks. I need to change the oil today and I've got a case of it handy.

2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I used to to use Rotella in my Harley if that helps it was a 77 FX.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Isn't that some sort of pasta?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When they were out os 20w50 I have used 15w40 . And I had over 100,000 miles then .

5. Metrodps

Applications
    • Heavy-duty diesel and mixed fleets in all types of< over-the-road service, including engines with EGR
    • Recommended for diesel-powered equipment, including those powered by Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Mack, Mercedes-Benz, International and Volvo engines in all types of service
    • Off-highway applications where an all-season, universal engine oil is desired, such as construction, mining, logging and agriculturual service for manufacturers, including John Deere, Case IH, Komatsu and Agco for manufacturers• Heavy-duty transmission applications requiring Allison C-4
    • Many gasoline engines, especially the hard-working engines of pickup trucks, sport-utility vehicles (SUVs), minivans and motorcycles
    • Passenger cars, light trucks, farm equipment, forklifts and assorted stationary equipment with automotive type LPG- or LNG-fueled engines where ashless or low-ash oils are not specified by the manufacturer
    • Detroit Diesel Series 53, 71 and 92 engines operating in ambient temperatures below 0°F use Shell ROTELLA® T SAE 15W-40

[​IMG]

http://rotella.com/products/rotella_t.html

6. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Rotella it is.

7. Metrodps

Wisely choosen have you!
    [​IMG]

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Diesel oil is better!..

Since I got my 82 K20 with a 6.2,I've been buying Roatella "T" in two gallon jugs or 5 gal. pails,and have been using it in my gas powered vehicles too...the only thing you have to worry about is the higher detergent content MAY loosen sludge deposits in an older high mileage motor that didn't get frequent oil changes--it could cause damage...

My motors are clean,the 305 in my 79 C10 had the oil pan off to change the oil pump and timing components,and a new pan went on,as the other was rotted and leaky--so no sludge worries!..I notice the oil darkens quickly the first time you use it--shows the detergent is working!..Also noticed less consumption in engines that use some oil,compared to "regular" dino oil...:crazy:

9. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Used it in my 98 TaBlow with no problems

10. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

not sure on gas moter. never used it, but it goes into all my 6.2s.

11. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

Unlike most current spec oils, it actually has a good bit of EP additives, so it's great for flat tappet cams. Go for it.

12. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that's what goes in my burb and my superduty there both gassers . I run delo 400 in my 6.5 but only beacause it's always had it and I'm afraid to change it

13. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ive ran rotella in both motors in my truck and my dad uses it in his truck, all 350 gassers. in my old motor it did like was mentioned before and caused a bunch of sludge and stuff to break loose and it started using more oil and leaking really bad but on my new motor it has done great. not sure if it would have the same effect on your older motor cause mine had well over 100,000 on it. It had hardly any compression at all, you could turn the motor by the flywheel with one hand so Im pretty sure it was completly worn out.

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I have a 400 SBC that is gettin rebuild and bumped up a few notchs. I had planned on Rotella T for oil, what weight do you guys recommend?

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

it turns into a watery substance after you run it for awhile,,,then it'll eat cams and lifters :crazy: at least it did mine when i ran it, drained it out, looked like black water.

I personally won't use it again in a gas motor even if the container says you can use it there.

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am have been using Valvoline Premium Blue (diesel oil) in the K5 for several years now. It works well for me. No problems at all that I can see. I may swap it over to Amsoil now that I am Amsoil dealer though.

Harley

17. Metrodps

Like I said I have used it in a Harley I owned and if I knew how clean my motor was in my Blazer now I would not have a problem with using it. We have seen several post that show people using it and liking it. If it caused damage to motors I do believe they would not list it for gasoline engines.

I used it in my Harley and rode to Sturgis SD twice and also idled in 100* temps for several periods. Keep great oil pressure in it.

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

it only comes in 15 w 40

19. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

If you have a diesel it's the best thing going. It's all I've run in my Rigs for 30yrs. I have a 550 cat in my W. Star that has 1,160,000 miles and has never been babyed or rebuilt. At a million mile I got nervous and put rods and mains in it, the old ones were still in good shape. You need to remember though, Rotella is designed for an engine that's working range is 1200-1800 rpm and doesn't turn over 2100 rpm, not 5 or 6000. I have cases of it but wouldn't put it in my BBC.

20. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

been running Valvoline for the longest time and figured I'd try the rotella since its cheaper. been using it ever since in everything from quads, motorcycles, drag cars, to my getting currently rebuilt 454.