Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rotella T

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roadnotca, May 14, 2006.

1. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

And others. Just thought a thread should be started regarding the coming changes to your motor oil. Get a copy of the June Hot Rod.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

How about a little recap of the article. I run Delo-400 in the motorhome and blazer. What changes?

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

The net effect is similar to when lead was removed from street gas and older engines' valves sank into the heads.
    Some principal lube components in "auto" oil are being removed for cleaner air, old skool flat tappet cams depend pretty heavily on the zinc and phosforous(sp) being deleted.
    "Diesel" oil is exempt for now.
    You really need to get that article, or maybe surf(?).
    88Silverado, you're already there with Delo-400

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Diesel oil will be exempt until the 2007 engines hit the market. the ZDDP emissions will tear up the emissions equipment.

After I read the article, I emailed Marlan Davis, telling him he should read his sister magazine, GM Hi Tech, for the solution. this article, written last year by david vizard,

http://gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0503htp_ls6

Talks about an oil called Quantum Blue, and how it spanks mobil one as far as wear reduction. It's also shear / viscosity stable to 6,000 degrees, so combustion temps can't kill the additive package or burn off the oil.

Of course, he hasn't responded, probably because the company doesn't advertise in any of the magazines.. And every automotive journalist knows what a hack David Vizard is, lol.

I did notice Marlan's article does a nice job of explaining the problem, while not accusing the advertisers of failing to come up with a solution.

Anyway, the solution is out there.

Tom

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Thanks Tom. That was more than I had expected, sounds like you are on top of it. Just wanted to let everyone know, seeing as how hard we work at keeping our rigs alive.:D

6. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I've got that issue, did'nt make me run out and buy a case of Rotella, but it's food for thought.

7. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

So Tom, have you tried this QB, or know of any personal accounts of using it?

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I had someone recommend the QB oil to me to quiet the LS-1 piston slap problem. Guy said he switched over to QB in two different LS-1's and the slap noise is gone. I havent located the stuff locally yet. I would be worried if my LS-1 didnt sound like a diesel :doah:

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha:
    Sent an E-mail asking for local, also.

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Yes. I have it in all 9 vehicles the family owns. the trucks, camaros, and my dads C5 vette.

BND automotive is the sole source, and they'll blend what you want and fed ex it anywhere.

When I first started using it in my 87 TBI K5, the oil analysis looked so good to the lab, I qualified for a warranty from them, givng me a grand if any covered part failed due to a lubrication related failure.. mind you, the 305 had over 100,000 miles when I started to use it.

Tom

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Good deal. Thanks Tom.