Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rotor question - (ignition system rotor)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Dec 3, 2002.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

This is on a '90 TBI 350. A while back, I bought new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I did the wires, and went to replace the cap and rotor...well, the rotor wouldn't come off the distributor. It was like it was just really stuck on there. I pulled on it pretty hard with my hands, and it didn't budge. I didn't pry at it with any tools. So, I said screw it and just put the new cap on - leaving the somewhat worn rotor in place. My question is...was it just stuck on there - there is no set screw or something else to worry about...right? Should I just take a pliers and grab onto it and pull? Thanks in advance for your input. Just figured I should change it to the new one for some better gas-mileage.

Also, to answer two of my questions with one post...when did Chevy quit using HEI distributors? Mine is just a plain cap with a short wire coming from the center and going to the coil. I was kind of surprised seeing this instead of the HEI setup.
    Thanks again.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

ttt -- common, all, this is an easy one /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Your rotor is just stuck. I had to break mine up with some pliers. I don't know why GM quit using HEI. could be when they started using a computer. Could be size considerations.

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Chevy didnt stop using HEI. HEI just means High Energy Ignition. The newer style is still HEI, but the coil is external instead of internal.