Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rotors - how thin is too thin

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Jul 11, 2002.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

how thin is too thin for a rotor? i have dana 60 rotors and the fella who i had turn them says one is 40 thou. too thin but since i'm good friends with him he turned them anyways. He says along with several other folks that it is fine for now but thats the last turn i'll get out of them. what do you think?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The brake system is one place that you NEVER want to scrimp. The rotors have a minimum thickness rating for a reason, and it isn't just to sell more rotors. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Those suckers get clamped very hard when you stand on the binders, and they go through a lot of heat and cooling cycles. Having one fail under heavy braking could be ugly. Start saving your pennies so you can replace the worn out rotor. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

BTW, the minimum thickness rating is cast right into the rotor somehwere. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

And if you cant read the spec on the rotor, any place with a brake lathe should have a book with the specs, both machine to and discard tolerances.

5. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I've noticed on rotors that are getting thin that they warp pretty easily if you stand on the binders with any speed. Thin would probably be OK for a while if you drive it like grandma does. I definitely would avoid autoX-ing or towing if you have any question about rotor integrity. Just a thought....