Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rotors, not on a K5 but you can prolly help anyways

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boots, Dec 22, 2002.

1. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

working on the brakes on my f250, rotors need replaced but at a touch over $200 a peice (hub/rotor is one peice) it's outta my price range right now. QUestion is can I fill these in with weld and have em turned? I'm a competent welder and it seems to me it would be the only way they could reman them anyway. What are your thoughts.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Are you 100% sure the hub and rotor is one piece??? It seems to me that the TSM rear disc kit uses stock F250 rotors...on the 14 bolt rear hubs.

Most rotors are held onto the hub with the wheel studs. Spin a lug nut on so the nut is still above the top of the stud and smack it with a hammer, it should drop the stud out. Once all 8 studs are out you may need to tap around the hub center to break the hub and rotor apart.

Rene

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ah no!!!!!!!!!!!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What tRusty said! I've got a set of 1990 F-250 4WD front rotors on the back of my K5. They cost $34 each at Autozone. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Did Ford change something on the later years to make the rotors more expensive?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, I wouldn't recommend welding on your rotors! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've never heard of remanufactured brake rotors. The only way I've ever seen them is brand new. They see a LOT of both mechanical and thermal stress. Don't trust your life to something jury rigged when it comes to either brakes or steering.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

didn't they put ABS on the front?

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well i dont know about your f-250 but my f-150 has seperate rotors. There has to be a way to unbolt the hubs fromt the rotors, i dont see that as being practical. But then agian it is ford /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

OK I don't plan on welding them anymore. Aa for the design of them. Eveyone I talked to said the fronts are one peice hub/rotor now for some reason dual piston calipers even on the 2wd (wich mine is 2wd but single caliper) they are only around 50 a peice. for some reason the singles are 200+. maybe I'll stop at the dealership tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for the kick in the A$$. NOt sure what difference it makes but it's a '78