Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rotors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Jul 10, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

so i`ve been having the ungodly squealing from the front brakes, and today i was takin the tires off to paint so i figured i would swap the 31s on, and check my brakes out, ok so the pass side rotor i can put my thumb on the center and drag it to the edge and it feels real wavy, but the drivers side is nowheres near as wavy, i remember when i did my front brakes not too long ago, that my buddys dad(who was helpin me) say one of the calipers was getting stuck a little, so is that what the problem is??? its not that big of a problem, as the front axle is gettin swapped anyways

2. NEK5

btt

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

usually a wave that you can feel will not cause a squeal but a good amount of pulsations, not only through the brake pedal but if its bad enough you can feel the whole truck surging to stop. You obviously didnt turn the rotors when you did your brake job otherwise it wouldnt feel wavy. You have to turn the rotors if you have excessive runout. I cant remember how much is too much but they dont allow for alot. If you can feel it with your fingers then its definitely too much. Its very possible the wavy rotors are causing that but its likely dirt, oil, brake dust, or some other contaminate that causes the squeal. Did it squeal after the brake job or did it do it after driving a while?

4. NEK5

yea they did after the brake job, but any idea one rotor was alot smoother than the other?

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a warped rotor. Its caused from exessive heat/hard use of the brakes. To be sure I'd replace both rotors. I'd upgrade to a vented rotor, but stock replacement will do fine and will save you some $$.