Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rotors?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jun 23, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am getting my crusty ol D60 ready for blazer bash and I think the rotors are shaddy. Should I just get the ones that are on there now turned or should I get some new ones? I see high-end rotors advertised all the time... dont think I need anything that racey... so long as I can stop, I'm happy. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif How much are el-cheapo parts store rotors generally? Is it worth it to get the pimpin' drilled/slotted kind?

J

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd just change them - With a D60, it's obvious you aren't into high speeds, so drilled/slotted rotors aren't too necessary. I don't know exactly what they'll run, but D60 rotors for my old F350 ran $129 a piece from Autozone in 97.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Jason, you are in luck! I have some brand new bare rotors in my garage that I've had for a few years now. I have no use for them and don't think I will as the D60's I have on my '84 and '85 are both very thick and have no grooves.

I can sell them for $150 for the pair. This is like almost half off from the parts stores. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif You will need to cover the shipping cost though. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ouch! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif those suckers are spendy!!! Maybe I will have my old ones turned!

J

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> K30, if Jason isn't interested in those I may be, I just need to mic the rotors on the 60 in my backyard to see if I need them. The ones on there are really rusty so I'll just have to make a guesstimate on how much would need to be turned off. You don't happen to know the rotor thickness spec on 87 D60 rotors do you?</font color>

6. thatK30guy

"Spendy" is normal for a Dana 60 front axle!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. thatK30guy

I need to dig out my service manual and see what it says for the minimum thickness. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, no worries then, I thought that you might just know, being the resident expert on 1 ton running gear (from what I've heard). I have a manual too, so I can just look it up when I get around to it. Thanks! </font color>

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

drilled and slotted is purely cosmetic
    it is to help gasses from race pads escape

10. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

if you check NAPA and look for the replacement part they list the minimum thinkness.