Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rotten Flowmaster

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I have a Flowmaster cat-back on my 98 z71 It's been on there less than 2 years and I noticed that the pipes rotted though today. The pipes have no warranty. I was going to put a FM on my K5 but am not going to pay $200 for 2 years use. Anyone else have these problems. What does everyone think of other mfgs like Edelbrock for cat backs? Luke

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

I just checked the Edelbrock catalog and don't see a K5 application....

3. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have owned many flowmasters on different trucks over 5 or so years and I havent seen anything like that. THey stand up pretty well with me. Where are you located at? Seasside or up north in the snow??

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i don't know of any manufacturers that have a bolt on exhaust kit for a full size k5..i usually go to a shop and have it made right there to fit.. some ordered kits don't exactly "bolt right on".i use flowmasters on just about anything i buy and haven't had one fail yet.. maybe because you live way up north, the salt and stuff from snow removal is what is eating away at your exhaust.

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

I'm up here in the Ny saltbelt. It just kinda tweaks me because I put a Walker brand exhaust on the K5 around the same time. I run the K5 more in the salt than the Z. The Walker was a very poor fit but has held up well in the salt. I have had no problems with the actual mufflers just the pipes rotted

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

K5King.... Try summit for the catback Flowmaster FLO-17161. Fits 87-91, The only difference I know of so far beween these and earlier is the diameter of the cat pipe. I bet you can use this on earler.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I guess you got screwed? Mine has been on for 3 years and still sounds great! Sorry........

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I know lots of people that run Flowmaster and haven't had the problem you are having. When I had mine installed I checked prices and Midas had the best price and, a life time warranty.

9. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Put a tfx on my 89 bolted right up behind the cat. Perfect fit and well made, had it on the truck for the five years I owned it no rust or rot. decent sound not as loud as I would have liked, but still was pleased. Was less than 200.00 from j.c. whittney.

10. Bryant

Bryant Registered Member

I live in Chicago and have no problems with my flowmaster. I have an 89 and got the system from summit for 180+. If your worried about salt why don't you just get your system jet hot coated. It doesn't cos that much and it looks awsome!

Bryant

11. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Which town in upstate NY do you live in? In jan. I'm moving to Buffalo and I thought that maybe we could meet sometime and B.S. about our blazers. According to my beautiful wife that's all I want to do anyways. LOL

Later,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!