Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ROTTING FLOOR BOARDS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by biged4wd, Jul 23, 2003.

1. biged4wd

biged4wd Registered Member

I have an '89 full size blazer and the floor boards are starting to rust out!!! I need to know where i can get a complete tub and some quality molded carpeting. If you can help it would be greatly appreciated!!!! Im also looking for a price on a BDS 6in lift kit (front springs & blocks) for my blazer.

thnax hope you can help /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

milatary auction the gov. has tons of scrap blazers

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Probably gonna be tough trying to find a tub with a straight body. Check the 'For Sale' forum for K5's that are being parted out. Where is it rotting out? You may be able to repair it yourself or you can get a fiberglass tub but they're damned expensive...

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Buy my 74 tub and top, then put it on top of your lower half. That way you get the full top off Blazer, and no smog if you are in California....

5. cjblais

cjblais Registered Member

My floors were toast on my 89 too but replacement panels were way too expensive cause I needed to replace from the rockers to the tranny tube from the firewall to the rise where the passenger seat is. I had a friend who welds professionally replace the floor pan with either 12 or 14 guage steel. It is way thicker than stock, is tough as hell, and will take a long time to rot away. He reinforced it by doubling up the metal where the seats bolt in. I then sprayed on a bedliner on the inside and some nasty tar undercoating stuff under neath. With metal new hardware cab supports, and some beer to negotiate payment, I spent about 500$ which was a lot but way cheaper than any one else quoted me. But hey its all about having the right friends /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. cjblais

Oh yeah forget about the carpet waste of money if your using the truck a lot off road I went to JC Whitney and got the molded plastic mat. You cut it to fit and when dirty either sweep the stuff out or wash it out. JC Whitney is a bit expensive but they were the only ones I could find to get me the mat on a short notice, plus they have carpet if you are set on it. Also order extra sound proofing material (the mat stuff) I didn't use the stuff that came with mine but it was barely enough to cover the front of the firewall if I had used it.

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I'm actually forgetting floor covering all together. Gonna herc the whole floor from tailpan to firewall and halfway up the door to the panel and the inside of the quarters. My front floor was pretty bad but I had a ton of scrap tin, I replaced the drivers side floorpan and patched the rest. Cut out the rockers. Then I'll just hose the inside out when it gets dirty, watch where the water pools, then drill holes and install boat drain plugs. Sound really isn't an issue for me since I drive with an 8 speaker 700w sound system /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

8-speaker, 700w Stereo?!?!?! Damn, with that loud of a stereo you can drive that thing from NYC to Atlanta without ever starting the engine!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

oh yeah...p.s.- Hey cj...
    By chance did you take any pics of when you re-did your floors with that steel? I have to do the same thing, and also happen to have a buddy thats a welder. But I'd leke to check out some pics if ya got them, or hear any dos/donts about the whole ordeal.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

me 2....

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    8-speaker, 700w Stereo?!?!?! Damn, with that loud of a stereo you can drive that thing from NYC to Atlanta without ever starting the engine!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that is small when a lot of people here are running 11-20 speaker systems in the 3000-4000watt range. Mainly I use the amps to clean the signal and provide crossover ability. Nothing is worse than a really loud system that sounds like crap...but that discussion is for another forum /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Other thing besides noise to think about is heat, that floor is gonna get warm and make your truck hot inside.

14. cjblais

sorry guys I did it before finding this site so no pics. But I plan on doing a rear floor and tailpan replacement soon and I will take pics of that.

15. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

PICS OF FLOOR PATCHING.