Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rotting Trailer Tires. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Aug 29, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

How do yall keep your trailer tires from rotting when they're sitting in one place out in the sun? We had 3 blown tires on our last trip with this trailer. Just got some new goodyears on it and want to make them last. This is a 18' HD carhauler that sits as long as 4 months at a time before it is used, but when it's used, it's nearly maxed to capacity. Suggestions?

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My Grandma's neighbor has a huge rv and when he is not using it he blocks it up so the tires are not on the ground holding all the weight. He also when he doesn't do this (if he plans to drive it in say a week again) will move it a foot or 2 every other day just to get tires to sit on different sides. I've seen him put stuff on them too. Not sure what it's called brand wise but it's not like Armour All, it's supposed to be like sun screen for tires.... seems to work whenever I walk by no cracks in the sidewalls.... anyhow might be something here in what he does. He seems like a smart guy and it seems to be working for him....

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Couldn't you just put some sort of cover over the tires to keep the sun off of them? Possibly jack up the trailer and sit it on cinder blocks so that the tires don't support all of the weight.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Someone once told me that brake fluid will protect tires. He said take your used brake fluid and just rub it on 'em. No idea if it's true though... </font color>

5. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Brake fluid is very corrosive to most rubber compounds, do not do it. It would soften it up for a little while, that is where this "trick" comes from.
    Covering them with tarps and getting the weight off of them would be the best way to protect them.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I've always heard to not get brake fluid on tires, I'm always pissed when it leaks out of my wheel cylinders when I bleed them, or when a brake line ruptures and it get all over your tires.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You could park it that big ol' shop!!

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've had the same tires my trailor came with when bought brand new in '97 and it'll sit for a while in the sun and I haven't had a problem /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Are you using regular passanger tires? Maybe trailor tires are designed to sit for a while? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I'd say throw some armor all on it, cover the tires, jack it up and brush your hands off /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

I use the white vinyl covers on our travel trailer. I've also heard to not park it on concrete, put some wood between the tires and the concrete. Towing it once in a while would also help.