Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rough acceleration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by usmcanson, Aug 19, 2006.

1. usmcanson

usmcanson Registered Member

87 357 tbi. Idles great. After driving for 5-10 minutes blazer no longer wants to accelerate. It cuts out, if i let off the gas it continues to run and idle fine but that is it. If i have to drive it i have to take off very slow and continue. Even when parked it will not rev up. It acts as if there is a rev. limiter kicking in at around 2500-300 rpm. :confused:

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Is the ECM tossing out any trouble codes?

3. usmcanson

usmcanson Registered Member

It's giving a code for O2 sensor...that's it. Today it actually stalled. After letting it set for a few hours it started and took me back home. I have a feeling that it it the fuel filter

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are getting a code 44 (02 sensor lean exhaust) Yeah try replacing the filter. Should replace the filter every 10-12 k miles for best performance.

5. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you may have a fuel pump checking out. Replace that fuel filter if it's very restricted it can kill the fuel pump. The other things I see on those are bad distributors, plug wires, and coils. The easiest thing to do is connect a fuel pressure gauge and go from there. If the pressure drops below about 11-12 PSI than the pump is bad, if the pressure doesn't drop then go to the spark side.